Vmware heeft onlangs versie 1.1.1 van zijn virtualisatiesoftware Fusion uitgebracht. Dit pakket doet zijn werk onder Mac OS X en is in staat om via een virtual machine diverse besturingssystemen op de hostcomputer te draaien, met in het bijzonder Windows, maar ook andere besturingssystemen zoals verschillende Linux-distributies en Solaris. Naast de traditionele weergave van het virtuele gastsysteem in een apart venster is het mogelijk om elke virtuele applicatie apart weer te geven door gebruik te maken van de Unity-functie. Voor meer informatie verwijzen we jullie door naar deze pagina. De lijst met veranderingen sinds de vorige vermelding in de Meuktracker ziet er als volgt uit:
Issues Resolved in VMware Fusion 1.1.1:
VMware Fusion 1.1.1 is a maintenance release that contains fixes for a variety of issues.
Some Apple OS X bugs affect VMware Fusion 1.1.1.
- VMware Fusion now transparently remaps keyboard shortcuts when the user goes back and forth between applications in the guest and in the host. For example, VMware Fusion remaps -X to Ctrl-X in the guest. The same remapping happens for -Z/-C/-V/-P/-A/-F.
- The number pad Enter key on European keyboards is always treated as AltGr. NumLock no longer disables this feature.
- This release fixes host and guest connectivity problems that could arise when using wireless networking.
- VMware Fusion 1.1 contained a fix so that suspending a virtual machine located in a FileVault folder no longer makes the system unresponsive. The problem reappeared with Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard), and this release fixes it in this version of the OS as well.
- Print jobs sent from the guest to a Kodak AiO 5100 series printer are now successful.
- When the user starts up a Boot Camp virtual machine, the password prompt now has focus, so that the user can type in the password without first having to move the mouse over the dialog box to select it.
- A problem causing the application to hang at launch, and for which the workaround was to delete the plist, has been fixed in this release.
- In some instances users with Mac OS X 10.5.0 and 10.5.1 could get a soreceive corrupted . . . kernel panic. Version 1.1.1 fixes this problem.
- Version 1.1.1 corrects a problem in which VMware Fusion was producing an error message when a user attempted to enable promiscuous mode for an Ethernet adapter in Mac OS X 10.5.
- The SRS iWOW plugin no longer breaks the sound in VMware Fusion.
- This release fixes a problem with the internal microphone when VMware Fusion runs on Mac OS X 10.5.
- Version 1.1.1 corrects a caps lock LED synchronization problem that could lead to a kernel panic in vmioplug.
- This release fixes problems with using the mouse after installing VMware Tools on a Ubuntu 7.10 guest.
- This release fixes a problem that resulted in a hang when certain volumes were accessed from an HGFS share.
- Having a Digidesign CoreAudio plugin no longer causes a bouncing vmx icon to appear in the Dock with a "Not Responding" label in Activity Monitor.
- In some cases, a VMware virtual machine would not recognize a hardware breakpoint set in an application and would not stop the code execution. This problem has been fixed.
- As a workaround for Apple bug 5679432 (Mac OS X hang under heavy disk load when unbuffered I/O is in use), VMware Fusion 1.1.1 disables unbuffered disk I/O on Mac OS X 10.5 hosts, even when the user selects Optimize for Mac OS application performance in VMware Fusion preferences.
- A bug in the operating system would, in some cases, result in all applications running with root privileges following a upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5.1, instead of how the user originally set them. This would prevent VMware Fusion from reading its own files. This has been reported to Apple to be addressed in a future release.
What's New in VMware Fusion 1.1:
VMware Fusion 1.1 has more than 25 enhancements, including:
VMware Fusion 1.1 includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
- Support for Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard"
- Access to even more Windows 3-D applications and games, with experimental support for DirectX 9.0 accelerated 3-D graphics (without "shaders")
- English, French, German, and Japanese versions all in the same download
- Improvements to Unity in VMware Fusion 1.1 that makes Microsoft Windows on the Mac even more seamless with:
- Support for Windows Vista 32- and 64-bit editions
- Support for Windows XP 64-bit edition
- My Computer, My Document, My Network Places, Control Panel, Run, and Search are now available in the Applications menu, Dock applications menus, and the Launch Applications window
- Option to show/hide the Windows taskbar and Startmenu in the VMware Fusion View menu
- VMware Fusion Launch Applications window now appears only when you choose
- Improved performance when resizing and dragging windows in Unity view
- Boot Camp integration even better with VMware Fusion 1.1:
- Use Microsoft Vista Boot Camp partitions in VMware Fusion virtual machines
- Automatic remount of Boot Camp partition after Boot Camp virtual machine is shut down
- Improved support for detecting and preparing Boot Camp partitions for use as virtual machines
- Other improvements:
- Ability to sync iPhone with Outlook in Windows virtual machines
- Eject key now ejects the optical drive when attached to a virtual machine
- VMware Shared Folders created with Windows Easy Install now defaults to Read-Only access of the Mac's home directory for maximum security
- Option to hide the VMware Fusion status bar, to take advantage of more screen real estate
- Installation status and "out of date" status for VMware Tools is made more obvious on the status bar
- Necessity to power off a virtual machine to modify virtual hardware setting is made more obvious
In addition to the improvements listed above, this release fixes numerous bugs to greatly improve the stability of VMware Fusion.
- Intel VT is now correctly enabled on 64-bit Intel Macs when powering on or resuming a virtual machine after the Mac is put to sleep or awakened
- Fixed issue where VMware Fusion would use more memory over time
- Resolved issue where windows would freeze in certain cases in Unity view
- Improved DNS resolution when using NAT networking
- Fixed issue where Caps Lock mapping preference would always be reset after using VMware Fusion 1.1 Beta
- Restored ability to shrink virtual disks lost after using VMware Fusion 1.1 Beta