Sinds vandaag is er een nieuwe versie verkrijgbaar van een van de meest bekende gratis fora. Met de release van phpBB 2.0.5 zijn weer verschillende problemen opgelost, zo is onder andere het systeem voor session_id verificatie verwijderd in deze versie. Het changelog is iets te lang om te plaatsen, maar het volledige log kan men hier vinden:
What has changed in this release?
- A comprehensive changelog is included with all archives. This edition includes a significant number of fixes for bugs and a minor cross-site scripting issue.
- The user facing session_id verification has been removed from this version. This should reduce issues with general users browsing via ISPs which frequently hop between proxies while retaining improved security where it really matters. (moderator and admin controls).
- Admins who use non-latin based character set languages should see yet more improvement in compatability when searching. Additionally changes in the email system should reduce compatibility issues with problematical mail transfer agents. Other changes should reduce the likelihood of phpBB orginated "mass messages" being classed as "spam" by some filters.
- While not supported as such the Visual Confirmation system produced for phpBB 2.2 has been backported and made available for 2.0.5. You will find it in the contrib/ directory. Installing this (ensure you read the README.html!) should eliminate any problems with "mass registration" attempts.
- The file based caching system has also been updated. Should you install this (again not strictly supported) you may see an improvement in page generation times compared to the previous version. Users who have never used the static file caching alternative should see a quite noticeable decrease in page rendering times (and perhaps a slight reduction in load).