John Carmack heeft in zijn speech op QuakeCon wat details vrijgegeven over Doom III, het spel dat momenteel bij id Software in ontwikkeling is. Doom III krijgt weer erg brute graphics, maar richt zich in tegenstelling tot Quake III vooral op single player gameplay. Het spel zal waarschijnlijk geport worden naar Linux, MacOS X en de X-Box. Hier de info van Shugashack:
Just got out of the Carmack talk and as most people were hoping he gave out a few more details on the next Doom game. I'll do a quick summary before I forget stuff and give you guys a more complete set of things by Monday. Here ya go:
6pm update: I just realized I left out one important detail. Carmack mentioned off-handedly that there will be a test release of the new Doom.
- Doom will be going back to DLLs, and will be using C++ (with the exception of the rendering code) instead of C
- Carmack feels the visual 'wow factor' of the new Doom will be a greater jump than it was from the recent jumps between Quake/Quake2/Quake3. (Lots of neeto new effects), but it will also focus on actual gameplay instead of just that 'wow factor'
- Single player is the absolute focus, and Carmack feels it will be their best single player experience to date.
- The game and editor/tools are now combined. You'll be able to simply type doom.exe -editor for example (Or maybe even an in-game toggle)
- Spending more time on the sound code / game code with the new programmers on the team.
- There probably wont be much discussion on the gameplay specifics since what made Doom so big is always a subject of arguments. (No talking about the game itself)
- All of the Doom code is being written from scratch. Rendering etc.
- A port to XBox is likely, Linux is likely (although it will take some work) and Mac will be OSX only.
- It comes out in 2 weeks. (Maybe 3, maybe 1.5)