Ubuntu Linux is nog een relatieve nieuweling op de markt van desktop Linux-distributies en is gebaseerd op een fork van de distributie Debian unstable. Martin Sturm heeft bij de vorige release op de frontpage van Tweakers.net een artikel hierover geschreven. De ontwikkelaars hebben 5.04 preview klaargezet en deze bevat onder andere de onlangs ge´ntroduceerde Gnome 2.10. De release notes zien er als volgt uit:
The Ubuntu Team is proud to announce the preview of their second release: Ubuntu 5.04-preview - codenamed "Hoary Hedgehog". The preview release includes both install CDs and bootable Live CDs for three architectures.
There are CD images of the preview release in both Install and Live CD format for Intel/x86, PowerPC and AMD64 here:
Ubuntu is a Linux distribution for the desktop or the server that includes all of Debian as well as most of the packages of apt-get.org, and more, with a fast and easy install, regular releases (every six months), a tight selection of excellent packages installed by default, a commitment to security updates for 18 months after release and professional technical support from many companies for every release.
To see it all, you'll need to try the CD, but the highlights include:
[break]De volgende downloads staan klaar:
- GNOME 2.10 -- Very fresh... Released yesterday!
- X.org 6.8.2
- Kickstart compatibility for automatic installations
- Several new desktop package-management tools to make it even easier to stay up to date
- An ultra-fast boot process, with optimized init process and special optimizations for the hotplug system
- Improved hardware support on a range of platforms -- laptops in particular gain improved suspend/hibernation support and processor frequency scaling
- Unified and improved hardware detection between the install and live CDs, which gives us live CDs on powerpc and amd64 too
- A range of improvements related to internationalization, translations, and different keyboard layouts, including a new smart keyboard selector that guesses your keyboard based on keypresses
- A load of new Ubuntu-specific documentation, thanks to the hard work of our community documentation team
- Instant messaging, desktop publishing, office productivity, with vorbis playback and Python 2.4 ready out of the box
- Enhancements to the hardware abstraction layer to provide you with BIOS, CPU, memory and LSB data (infrastructure for the upcoming hardware database)
- Enhanced proactive security due to privilege minimization of many processes which previously ran as root. This work reduces the impact of many potential security vulnerabilities.
- The very best of the 100% FREE / LIBRE application software world.
- Much, much more!
Intel x86 installation CD
PowerPC installation CD
AMD64 installation CD
IA-64 installation CD