Op TransGaming Technologies staat het bericht dat men versie 3.3 van WineX heeft uitgebracht. Dit is eigen implementatie van de Microsoft's Win32 Application Programming Interfaces (API) voor het Linux-platform, waarmee het mogelijk is om Windows-spellen op diverse Linux distributies te spelen. De grootste veranderingen zijn te danken aan de samenwerking met het ontwikkelteam van Steam. De release notes zien er als volgt uit:
TransGaming is pleased to announce the release of WineX 3.3, dubbed "Infinite Improbability Drive", giving our users access to Windows games in Linux, with greater ease. TransGamers can now download WineX in RPM, Debian and TGZ formats from the downloads section of TransGaming's website
The majority of the technical improvements in WineX 3.3 have been driven by the implementation of support of Steam. Support for its online games has resulted in improved socket and pipe support as well as a major enhancement to font support. In addition to Steam, this release contains copyprotection enhancements and support for Dark Age Of Camelot as well some success in making a number of other titles functional with workarounds, although not yet to a point where we can say that they are supported. You will find some of these titles listed in the Known Problems section below.
- Steam, including the latest versions of Half-Life, CounterStrike, Day of Defeat and other mods, is now supported.
- Dark Age of Camelot is now supported.
- Drastically improved font support.
- Fog coordinates have been implemented to provide fog in games such as EverQuest.
- Improved copyprotection for a number of non functioning SafeDisc titles in win2k mode.
- XRandR back end is available for fullscreen games.
- Initial DirectMusic implementation.
- DirectInput improvements for a number of games which use custom data formats.
- New joystick configuration options to make them usable with games such as GTA3.
- A number of bug fixes, compatibility fixes and small speed improvements.