Asus gebruikt voor zijn nieuwere routers, zoals de RT-AC66U en RT-AC87U, van Tomato afgeleide firmware met de naam Asuswrt. Deze firmware is, op enkele drivers na, opensource, waarbij de gesloten binaries wel meegeleverd worden.
Asuswrt-merlin is op zijn beurt een aangepaste versie van de originele firmware van Asus. Het bevat onder meer bugfixes en kleine verbeteringen, maar probeert toch dicht bij het origineel te blijven, zodat het mogelijk blijft om nieuwe features die Asus introduceert toe te voegen aan de code. Versie 378.56 is uitgekomen en sinds 378.55 zijn de volgende veranderingen en verbeteringen doorgevoerd:
- There is no 378.56 build for the RT-N66U at this time, as Asus hasn't released updated source code for this model yet, and there are new closed source binary components that are necessary for this new release.
- Nameserver handling is more resilient to scenarios where dnsmasq fails to start due to a broken configuration
- PPTP/L2TP client page broken on French locale
- Entries on the Virtual Server page with ellipsis in their name or port range weren't properly copied to the Add fields when edited.
- Additionnal fixes to truncated hostnames related to networkmap
378.56 Beta 2Changed:
- Increased Guest MAC filter entries limit to 64.
- DHCP query logging no longer override configured syslog level, and option was renamed to "Hide queries" to be more intuitive in regard to the level logging configured.
- Enabling Hide DHCP queries also silences any RA routine event.
- Reverted networkmap's printer detection change as it didn't resolve the printer wakeups.
- Reorganized settings on the System page
- QoS page layout in Firefox
- curl wasn't using the firmware's CA list (regression)
- Models with 128 KB support were only reporting 64 KB in the nvram userspace tool
- Traditional QoS not working when IPv6 is enabled (patch by charlie2alpha)
- Smart Connect page fails to save interface policies
- VPNStatus page was broken on French locale
378.56 Beta 1New:
- Merged with GPL 9177.
- Added support for the RT-AC88U.
- Support for Russian ISP Telenet (code by theMIROn)
- ipset support in dnsmasq (patch by ryzhov_al)
- default loglevel is now configurable and defaults to 5 (notice) instead of 0 (emergency)
- local syslogd loglevel is now configurable through the webui.
- Support for extra-certs in OpenVPN
- Editable DHCP static leases list, virtual servers, port triggers.
- IP addresses on the Network Service Filter page can now be subnets in CIDR format (i.e. 10.0.0.0/24)
- Updated miniupnpd to 20150723 snapshot
- Updated openvpn to 2.3.8
- Updated dropbear to 2015.68 + upstream patches
- Updated minidlna to 1.1.5.
- Support up to 5 different OpenVPN clients (to match Asus)
- Maximum openvpn policy rules reduced from 128 to 100, fewer priority slots wasted in the RPDB tables (could have been a problem with the increase in the number of supported clients)
- Improvements to VPN Status page
- Connection failure reason shown on the OpenVPN client configuration page.
- Router crash when an invalid or corrupted DH parameter is used on an OpenVPN server configuration.
- 2.4 GHz temperature would be missing on the Sysinfo page when disabling the 5 GHz radio on the RT-AC3200.
- Max tracked connection limit wasn't user-editable
- Resource leaks in ez-ipupdate if an update failed
- Networked printers coming out of sleep every time networkmap queried their LPR service
- Resource leak in networkmap when scanning for printer servers
- Regulation mode setting on Wireless -> Professional. This can't be adjusted anymore, as it was moved to a closed source component.