Asus gebruikt voor zijn nieuwere routers, zoals de RT-N66U en RT-AC66U, van Tomato afgeleide firmware met de naam Asuswrt. Deze firmware is opensource op enkele drivers na, waarvan de binaries wel meegeleverd worden.
Asuswrt-merlin is een aangepaste versie van de originele firmware die onder meer bugfixes en kleine verbeteringen bevat, maar toch dicht bij het origineel probeert te blijven, zodat het mogelijk blijft om nieuwe features die Asus introduceert toe te voegen aan de code. Enkele dagen geleden is versie 378.52 uitgekomen en inmiddels is er ook al een opvolger. Hieronder is de lijst met veranderingen te vinden.
- Updated AiCloud prebuilt binaries for MIPS models
- Applied kernel patch for MIPS kernel ported from 376_3861, related to CTF support
- AiCloud would fail to start unless you had HTTPS enabled for the webui (causing the key/cert to be missing)
- DDNS hostname would become corrupted after backing up your router configuration (Asus bug)
- Merged with Asus GPL 378_4608
- Added ECDHE support to the webui (when accessed over HTTPS)
- The DHCP server can now provide a second DNS to its clients
- You can tell the router not to advertise itself as a DNS
- Experimental Tor support (feature originally developed by Asus, but not available yet on stock firmware). You can enable it in the VPN section of the webui.
- Updated miniupnpd to 1.9.20150309
- You can no longer disable the JFFS2 partition if Traffic Analyzer is enabled. Likewise, you can no longer enable Traffic Analyzer if the JFFS2 partition is disabled.
- The selected refresh rate of the Wireless Clients page will be saved to a cookie
- Removed obsolete (non-safe) ciphers such as RC4 from the router's https webui
- Updated OpenSSL to 1.0.0r
- Removed Turbo button support from webui, as that feature doesn't work with the current bootloader everyone is using now (RT-AC68)
- Performance optimization to the httpd, dropbear and rc services
- 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz-1 clients were swapped on the Sysinfo page (RT-AC3200 only)
- Wifi PSK wasn't blurred until activated (regression from 378.51)
- Samba's custom config/postconf were ignoring the state of the global option to enable them (they would always be used)
- Samba's custom config/postconf usage wasn't logged
- Some services would fail on their first attempt to start at boot time due to the QTN subsystem taking too long. Implemented patch from Asus which eliminates the long QTN stall at boot time. This resolves the issue where some users had trouble connecting their WAN at boot time (RT-AC87U)
- NAT rules could occasionally fail to be applied (patch by john9527)
- The Apply button on the Adaptive Bandwidth page had a clickable area so wide that it even covered part of the left side menu. (Asus bug)
- USB menu was removed instead of Parental Control on DPI-enabled models
- QoS page was still available on the AP/RP modes on DPI-enabled models
- Error on OpenVPN Server page if using a DHCP pool for connected clients.
- UPNP would be reported as enabled on the security report if it was enabled on the secondary WAN even if Dual WAN itself wasn't enabled. Now we check that Dual WAN itself is also enabled before reporting so. (Asus bug)
- mtd-erase was unable to erase the brcmnand partition, which is used as the JFFS2 partition starting with the RT-AC66U (patch by benoitm974)
- JFFS2 partition couldn't be formatted for all routers but the RT-N66U (wrong partition name). Also resolved the case where a second reboot was required to mount it.
- RT-AC3200 port numbering was reversed on the Sysinfo page.