Gisteren is versie 2.5.0 van Pidgin uitgebracht. Dit multiprotocol instantmessagingprogramma, dat voorheen onder de naam Gaim opereerde, kan overweg met de netwerken van AIM, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, Google Talk, Groupwise, ICQ, irc, MSN, MySpaceIM, QQ, Silc, Simple, Sametime, XMPP, Yahoo en Zephyr. De software is beschikbaar voor Windows en Linux en is prima in Gnome 2 en KDE 3.1 te integreren. Voor Mac OS X-gebruikers is er Adium. Pidgin is opensource en wordt onder versie 2 van de gpl-licentie uitgebracht. Het changelog van deze release laat de volgende veranderingen zien:
- Ability to create custom smileys (currently only the MSN protocol utilizes the feature). (Thanks to Mauro Sérgio Ferreira Brasil, Marcus Lundblad, Jorge Villaseñor and other contributors)
- Add a configure option, --with-system-ssl-certs to allow packagers to specify a system-wide SSL CA certificates directory. When set, we don't install our SSL CA certs, so it's important that the libpurple package depend on the CA certificates.
- Add SSL Certificates support to the NSS SSL plugin. (Thanks to Lou Cipher)
- Fix a bug that caused the UI to not refresh and caused the client to use 99% CPU when an XMPP account lost its connection to the server.
- Possibly fix a bug where some clients could get into a state where they moved a buddy back and forth between two groups in an endless loop.
- /ctcp command (Vladislav Guberinic)
- Allow for auto-detection of incoming UTF-8 formatted text on accounts which are configured to use some other encoding.
- Update MSN support to protocol 15 (Elliott Sales de Andrade, Jorge Villaseñor, Mike Ruprecht, Carlos Silva, Ma Yuan, Daniel Ljungborg and others)
- Personal messages are now supported. They are treated as status messages.
- Offline IM is now supported.
- Aliasing is now supported server-side.
- Buddies are now emblemed. Bots and web clients should now be distinguished.
- Update smiley set for non-faces.
- Failing to update a buddy icon when the buddy has gone offline no longer crashes.
- Custom smileys received in a chat no longer go to a new window.
- Processing is no longer completely frozen after the servers block a message because it contains (what they consider) inappropriate text.
- Custom buddy icons can now be added to and removed from buddy list entries via the buddy list entry right-click menu.
- Resize large incoming custom smileys to a maximum of 96px on either side.
- Offer to add new buddies into the same contact as existing buddies in the same group if the alias given is the same.
- Minor smiley style update.
- Group and Chat buddy list entries can now be given custom buddy icons.
- Added "Invite..." menu to chats.
- Added "View All Logs" menu in the buddylist to display a list of all IM logs.
- Added '/msgcolor' command to change colors of different classes of messages in a conversation. See '/help msgcolor' for details.
- Added tab-completion for commands in conversation windows.
- Don't install the GSSAPI SASL plugin on NT4 to avoid an error popup.
- Use the Kerberos for Windows libraries installed on the system (if present) instead of including enough to load the plugin (Kfw still needed to be installed for it to actually work before this change).
- Upgrade to Perl 5.10 (System Perl runtime must be upgraded for Perl plugins to continue to work).
- Upgrade SILC to use the 1.1.7 toolkit