Vrijdag heeft Pidgin 2.4.0 het levenslicht gezien. Pidgin, dat voorheen onder de naam Gaim opereerde, kan overweg met de netwerken van AIM, ICQ, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell Groupwise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, Simple en Zephyr. De software is opensource en wordt onder versie 2 van de gpl-licentie uitgebracht. Het changelog van deze release laat de volgende veranderingen zien:
- Added support for offline messages for AIM accounts (thanks to Matthew Goldstein)
- Fixed various problems with loss of status messages when going or returning from idle on MySpaceIM.
- Eliminated unmaintained Howl backend implementation for the Bonjour protocol. Avahi (or Apple's Bonjour runtime on win32) is now required to use Bonjour.
- Partial support for viewing ICQ status notes (Collin from ComBOTS GmbH).
- Support for /notice on IRC.
- Support for Yahoo! Messenger 7.0+ file transfer method (Thanumalayan S.)
- Support for retrieving full names and addresses from the address book on Yahoo! Japan (Yusuke Odate)
- The AIM/ICQ server-side preference for "allow others to see me as idle" is no longer unconditionally set to "yes" even when your libpurple preference is "no."
- Fix SSL certificate checks for renewed certificates
- Fix the ability to set vCard buddy icons on Google Talk/XMPP
- D-Bus fixes on 64bit
- Fixed retrieval of buddy icons and setting of server-side aliases on Yahoo! and Yahoo! Japan when using an HTTP proxy server (Gideon N. Guillen)
- Fixed an MSN bug that would leave you appearing offline when transferred to different server
- Added the ability to theme conversation name colors (red and blue) through your GTK+ theme, and exposed those theme settings to the Pidgin GTK+ Theme Control plugin (Dustin Howett)
- Fixed having multiple alias edit areas in the infopane (Elliott Sales de Andrade)
- Save the conversation "Enable Logging" option per-contact (Moos Heintzen)
- Typing notifications are now shown in the conversation area
- Color is used in the buddylist to indicate status, and the conversation window to indicate various message attributes. Look at the sample gntrc file in the man page for details.
- The default keybinding for dump-screen is now M-D and uses a file request dialog. M-d will properly delete-forward-word, and M-f has been fixed to imitate readline's behavior.
- New bindings alt+tab and alt+shift+tab to help navigating between the higlighted windows (details on the man page).
- Recently signed on (or off) buddies blink in the buddy list.
- New action 'Room List' in the action list can be used to get the list of available chat rooms for an online account.
- The 'Grouping' plugin can be used for alternate grouping in the buddylist. The current options are 'Group Online/Offline' and 'No Group'.
- Added a log viewer
- Added the ability to block/unblock buddies - see the buddy context menu and the menu for the buddy list.
- Fixed a bug preventing finch working on x86_64