Vandaag heeft de PostgreSQL Global Development Group versie 8.1 van de populaire open-source database PostgreSQL uitgebracht. Deze ORDBMS (Object Relational Database Management System) draait op veel verschillende besturingssystemen waardoor het uitstekend inzetbaar is in verschillende omgevingen. De release notes zijn op deze pagina volledig na te lezen. De volgende aankondiging wordt meegegeven:
PostgreSQL 8.1 contains more than 120 new features and enhancements contributed by almost 200 developers. Among them are:
New Advanced Database Features:
- Roles: PostgreSQL now supports database roles, which simplify the management of large numbers of users with complex overlapping database rights.
- IN/OUT Parameters: PostgreSQL functions now support IN, OUT and INOUT parameters, which substantially improves support of complex business logic for J2EE and .NET applications.
- Two-Phase Commit (2PC): long in demand for WAN applications and heterogeneous data centers using PostgreSQL, this feature allows ACID-compliant transactions across widely separated servers.
- Improved Multiprocessor (SMP) Performance: the buffer manager for 8.1 has been enhanced to scale almost linearly with the number of processors, leading to significant performance gains on 8-way, 16-way, dual-core, and multi-core CPU servers.
- Bitmap Scan: indexes will be dynamically converted to bitmaps in memory when appropriate, giving up to twenty times faster index performance on complex queries against very large tables. This also helps simplify database management by greatly reducing the need for multi-column indexes.
- Table Partitioning: the query planner is now able to avoid scanning whole sections of a large table using a technique known as Constraint Exclusion. Similar to the Table Partitioning found in other database management systems, this feature improves both performance and data management for multi-gigabyte tables.
- Shared Row Locking: PostgreSQL's "better than row-level locking" now supports even higher levels of concurrency through the addition of shared row locks for foreign keys. Shared locks will improve insert and update performance on many high-volume OLTP applications.
[break]De volgende downloads staan klaar:
- GiST: PostgreSQL's Generalised Search Tree (GiST) pluggable indexing mechanism has improved to support the high-speed concurrency, recoverability and update performance previously enjoyed only using B-Tree indexes. GiST is the backbone of PostgreSQL's full-text indexing (TSearch2), geospatial (GIS) and tree-structure indexing. With this enhancement, complex data types will perform well even on the largest high-availability applications.
- COPY Refactoring: COPY has been refactored for up to 30% faster processing of bulk load data. Along with CSV load improvements, this makes loading large databases into PostgreSQL faster than ever.
- 64-bit Shared Memory: the buffer manager has been enhanced to utilize up to two terabytes of RAM on 64-bit platforms, preparing PostgreSQL for the high-memory servers of the future.
- Integrated Autovacuum: PostgreSQL's database maintenance daemon has been improved and integrated into the main server program, making PostgreSQL servers simpler to set up and administer.
- Faster Aggregates: aggregate functions have been improved to make reporting queries even faster. The PostgreSQL developers both rewritten memory management for aggregates and added indexing optimizations for MIN() and MAX().
- Adminstration Functions: new functions have been added for obtaining server information and performing basic DBA tasks from the PSQL command line.
- Compatibility Functions: lastval(), greatest() and least() functions have been added, making porting applications from MySQL and Oracle easier.
Source tarball (FTP - BitTorrent)
Fedora Core 4 (FTP - BitTorrent)
Fedora Core 4 x64 (FTP - BitTorrent)
Windows (FTP - BitTorrent)