PowerDNS is een DNS server met een database als back-end waardoor het beheer van een groot aantal DNS entries op een gemakkelijk manier kan plaats vinden. Versie 2.9.13 is sinds korte tijd beschikbaar maar is helaas nog niet op de download pagina terug te vinden. De release notes zien er als volgt uit:
Big news! Windows is back! Our great friend Michel Stol found the time to update the PowerDNS code so it works again under windows.
- Generic SQLite support added
- Removed the ODBC backend, replaced it by the Generic ODBC Backend, which has all the cool configurability of the Generic MySQL and PostgreSQL backends.
- The PowerDNS Recursor now runs as a Service. It defaults to running on port 5300, PowerDNS itself is configured to expect the Recursor on port 5300 now.
- The PowerDNS Service is now known as 'PowerDNS' to Windows.
- The Installer was redone, this time with NSIS2.
- General updates and fixes.
- There appears to be a problem with PowerDNS on Red Hat 7.3 with GCC 2.96 and self-compiled binaries. The symptoms are that PowerDNS works on the foreground but fails as a daemon. We're working on it.
- If you do note problems, let the list know, if you don't, please do so as well. Tell us if you use the RPM or compiled yourself.
- It is known that not compiling in MySQL support helps solve the problem, but then you don't have MySQL.
- allow-axfr-ips did not work for individual IP addresses (bug & fix by Norbert Sendetzky)
- Opteron support! Thanks to Jeff Davey for providing a shell on an Opteron. The fixes should also help PowerDNS on other platforms with a 64 bit userspace.
Btw, the PowerDNS team has a strong desire for an Opteron :-)
- pdns_recursor jumbles answers now. This means that you can do poor man's roundrobin by supplying multiple A, MX or AAAA records for a service, and get a random one on top each time. Interestingly, this feature appeared out of nowhere, this change was made to the authoritative code but due to the wonders of code-reuse had an effect on pdns_recursor too.
- Big LDAP cleanup. Support for TLS was added. Zone2LDAP also gained the ability to generate ldif files containing a tree or a list of entries. (Norbert Sendetzky)
- Zone2sql is now somewhat clearer when reporting malformed line errors - it did not always include the name of the file causing a problem, especially for big installations. Problem noted by Thom May.
- pdns_recursor now survives the expiration of all its root records, most often caused by prolonged disconnection from the net.