PostgreSQL is een open source relational database management system dat op diverse besturingssystemen kan worden gedraaid. De ontwikkelaars hebben de tweede alphaversie van PostgreSQL 9.1 uitgebracht, die zoals gewoonlijk voornamelijk in sourcevorm is binnen te halen. De beknopte aankondiging van deze uitgave ziet er als volgt uit:
PostgreSQL 9.1alpha2 Now Available
The second alpha release for PostgreSQL version 9.1, 9.1alpha2, is now available. This alpha release contains several new major features added since the alpha1 release. Please download, install, and test it to give us early feedback on the features being developed for the future versions of PostgreSQL.
Features added in 9.1alpha2 since alpha1 include:
More detail is available in the release notes. These new features mean that we need you to participate in testing them. If you are able to help with organized alpha testing, please see the Alpha/Beta testing page. Alpha releases are not stable and should never be used in production; they are for testing new features only. There is no guarantee that any features or APIs present in the alphas will be present, or the same, in the final release. Alpha release information page. Download the alpha release. Alpha releases are primarily made in source code form only. Binary packages for some operating systems will be prepared in the coming days.
- Support for triggers on views to support programmable INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE actions
- Modifiable enums: You may now add new values to ENUM data types without having to recreate the type or alter any dependent tables
- WITH clauses on INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE statements. These allow users to update rows recursively or according to complex criteria that would have previously required procedural code
- Support for using host names instead of IP addresses in pg_hba.conf.
- Updates to contrib/isn ISBN tables, supporting recent ISBN standards