REALbasic is een uitgebreide ontwikkelomgeving die geschikt is om allerlei applicaties te ontwikkelen, van kleine utilities tot grote bedrijfsapplicaties. Het pakket heeft een grote compatibiliteit met Visual Basic en bevat ook een applicatie om Visual Basic-broncode om te zetten naar REALbasic. REAL Software heeft onlangs de vierde release van de 2007 serie uitgebracht. Voor een volledig overzicht van alle veranderingen ten opzichte van de vorige release kan je op deze pagina terecht. De aankondiging voor REALbasic 2007 release 4 ziet er als volgt uit:
REAL Software Ships REALbasic 2007 Release 4; Improves Performance of Database Applications, Adds Support for Ubuntu
REAL Software, provider of REALbasic, Cross-Platform That Really Works, announced today that REALbasic 2007 Release 4 is available now. REALbasic 2007 Release 4 focuses on modernization and stability, with over 80 improvements and 9 new features including Ubuntu support, faster ODBC and faster database access.
REALbasic 2007 Release 4 includes the following new features:
"REALbasic has always had strong support for cross-platform connectivity," stated Jonathan Monroe, Managing Partner for Actual Technologies. "With the latest optimizations for ODBC, REALbasic applications now rival Visual Basic counterparts for fast data access."
- Ubuntu Support: Ubuntu version 6.06 and later is now officially supported. REALbasic 2007 Release 4 is now released as a deb package for easy installation on Ubuntu.
- Faster ODBC: The ODBC plug-in has been optimized to provide significantly faster performance.
- Faster Database Access: The REALbasic database API is now significantly faster when iterating through a recordset using the Field function. When combined with the new ODBC plug-in, customers have reported a 20x speed improvement in the performance of some database operations.
- Debugger Improvements: Debugger console applications have been enhanced by the addition of properties that simulate command line arguments. The debug application location may now be set by the developer.
- Delegates: New delegate datatype provides an abstract representation of a method, allowing variable implementation of a specific invocation.
"I have been testing the faster ODBC Plugin as I have been porting my database application from Visual Basic to REALbasic," stated Frederick Roller of F.W. Roller & Associates. "I am pleased to report that with the faster ODBC Plugin provided in REALbasic 2007 Release 4, my test code now runs 23 times faster than it did before. These updates make me confident in my decision to use REALbasic as my development platform."
The complete list of improvements and new features in REALbasic 2007 Release 4 can be found in the release notes in the product download.