Realbasic is een uitgebreide ontwikkelomgeving die geschikt is om allerlei applicaties te ontwikkelen, van kleine utilities tot grote bedrijfsapplicaties. Het pakket is compatibel met Visual Basic en bevat ook een applicatie om Visual Basic-broncode om te zetten naar Realbasic. Real Software heeft onlangs de vierde release van de 2008-serie uitgebracht. Voor een volledig overzicht van alle veranderingen ten opzichte van de vorige release kan je op deze pagina terecht. De beknopte aankondigingen voor Realbasic sinds de vorige vermelding in de Meuktracker zien er als volgt uit:
REALbasic 2008 Release 4:
It includea over 300 improvements and 6 new features. The new features are:
REALbasic 2008 Release 3:
- Control Locking: Control Locking adds the ability to lock a control in the IDE so it's position and size cannot be edited. This is useful for positioning controls at design time on complex User Interface's to prevent accidentally modifying the control.
- Tab Stops: Tab Stops allow users to specify controls to be skipped over when tabbing through the user interface at runtime.
- Auto-adjust Tab Indexes: REALbasic can now automatically determine the tab order for all controls.
- Warning System Updates: REALbasic now includes several new warnings, as well as a new User Interface to set per-project preferences on what warnings to receive.
- Constants in Declarations: The REALbasic compiler now allows the use of constants and enumerations in declarations. For example, constants can now be used as part of a method's optional parameter declaration or to define enumeration values in terms of other constants.
- Codesign for Mac OS X Applications: Codesign enables developers to digitally sign REALbasic applications. Digitally signed applications provide greater security because the application can be traced back to the author. One way this is used on the Mac is with Mac OS X Leopard Server. Applications installed on Leopard Server must be authorized by the user each time they are launched. Digitally signed applications need only be authorized once.
REALbasic 2008 Release 3 shipped on July 8, 2008 and offered several new features, including a new Attributes language feature, an update to the project analyzer to include warnings of deprecated functionality and other code issues, and an integrated profiler that allows programmers to track down performance issues within their applications quickly and without any additional coding.
Also included will be the ability to add types within classes and several improvements to the recently added introspection functionality. There are numerous fixes and improvements.
REALbasic 2008 Release 2:
REALbasic 2008 Release 2 shipped on May 6, 2008 and offered several new features, including:
Pairs: Pairs allows developers to easily define key/value pairs and define linked lists.The release also increases functionality to the introspection feature. The release includes several new capabilities involving remote debugging and bug reporting that simplifies testing and reduces developer overhead.
REALbasic 2008 Release 1:
REALbasic 2008 Release 1 shipped on February 11, 2008 and offered several new features, including:
Introspection: Introspection provides the ability to determine the type and characteristics of an object at runtime. Properties and methods can be accessed in a generic way without having to know the specific type of that object before the code is compiled. This capability allows for more advanced dynamic programming techniques to be used in REALbasic applications.