De mensen van KDE hebben een nieuwe versie van KOffice online gezet, te weten 1.4. KOffice is een open-sourceofficepakket voor Linux- en Unx-systemen en bestaat onder meer uit programma's waarmee geschreven, gerekend en getekend kan worden. Welke applicaties nog meer meegeleverd worden in KOffice kan je in dit document lezen. KDE heeft de volgende nieuwe programma's, features en verbeteringen doorgevoerd in KOffice 1.4:
KWord (Word Processor):
- Krita: Krita is an image editor and paint application with a wide range of applications, from photo editing to the creation of original artwork. Sporting a clear and uncluttered interface (for a paint app...) it makes the features it delivers accessible and intuitive to use. This is the first public release of Krita and while it provides a coherent set of features, it is only the first stepping stone towards a flexible paint application for artists and image editors. For a list of features supported by Krita, see the Krita information page.
- Kexi. KOffice 1.4 is the first official release to include Kexi. Kexi is an integrated environment for creating and managing databases. It can be used for creating database schemas; inserting data; performing queries, and processing data. Forms can be created to provide a custom interface to your data. All database objects - tables, queries and forms - are stored in the database, making it easy to share databases. Kexi is considered as a long awaited Open Source competitor for MS Access, Filemaker and Oracle Forms. Its development is motivated by the lack of Rapid Application Development (RAD) tools for database systems that are sufficiently powerful, inexpensive, open standards driven and portable across many OSes and hardware platforms. For a list of features supported by Kexi, see the Kexi website.
- OASIS OpenDocument support: Most KOffice applications now support the OASIS OpenDocument file format. KOffice developer David Faure is part of the OASIS technical committee and was able to participate in the discussions that led to the creation of this standard file format.
KPresenter (Presentation Tool):
- rewritten spell-checking support which is much faster and solves many problems (e.g. KOffice-1.3's right-click-menu sometimes hanging); with aspell, spell-checking is available in more than 70 languages.
- word completion with tooltip;
- a new WordPerfect import filter, based on an external library, libwpd;
- a master page concept;
- reworked dialogs (property editor, object and page effects); and
- customizable slide order and selection for slide show.
KChart (Graph and chart drawing tool):
- Support for right-to-left spreadsheets;
- much improved value parsing and formatting;
- a calendar plug-in;
- additional options for cell validity, 5 new functions, and
- a new Microsoft Excel import filter.
Kivio (Flow-charting application):
- New, much improved, data editor;
- linear or logarithmic scale;
- printing support;
- support for data as rows or columns; and
- export to PNG and SVG formats.
- New stencils: Nassi Schneiderman;
- a docker for adding stencils to the document;
- a tool for adding connector targets to stencils; and
- a poly-line connector.