Symantec Messaging Gateway is een product voor het beveiligen van in- en uitgaande mailstromen. Het borduurt voort op Brightmail, dat in 2004 werd overgenomen door Symantec. Hoewel dat alweer meer dan veertien jaar geleden is gebeurd, wordt de oude naam nog steeds genoemd in het product door de toevoeging 'powered by Brightmail'. Het programma biedt antispam- en antimalwareopties, geavanceerde contentfiltering en data loss prevention, en biedt ook encryptieopties aan door te integreren met Symantec-encryptieproducten. SMG kan op een bijbehorende hardware-appliance worden gedraaid of virtueel in VMware of Hyper-V. Versie 10.6.5 is verschenen met de volgende veranderingen:
What's new in SMG 10.6.5
This release fixes known defects and addresses known vulnerabilities, and includes new features. This release includes and supersedes patch 271. New features include the following:
- In previous SMG versions you could disable support for SSLv3, but you could not prevent encrypted communications from using early TLS versions. The new setting is Disable support for <TLS version> and earlier protocols in all SMTP TLS conversations on the Protocols > SMTP > Settings > SMTP page.
- This version supports DMARC sender authentication. DMARC uses SPF and DKIM to authenticate email messages, but adds mechanisms for senders and receivers to share information about the results.
- The Sender Authentication settings that set the actions for a message that failed Sender ID or SPF authentication are replaced with new content filtering policies. The content filtering policies offer an expanded list of conditions and let you specify actions for different DMARC, DKIM, SPF, and Sender ID failure conditions. These changes disable the existing policies for DKIM, SPF, and Sender ID. After you update, you must make manual changes to your sender authentication settings and policies. If you do not make these changes, sender authentication may fail or may not work as expected.
- Domain Authentication has a new option, Authenticate all domains except the following domains. This option lets you exempt a list of trusted domains from sender authentication. In addition, Domain Authentication settings now apply to all sender authentication options, including DKIM and DMARC.
This section describes the issues that are resolved in SMG 10.6.5.
- In some environments, switching between pages and saving a change to the Protocols -> Domains page took a long time.
- Control characters in filenames resulted in verdicts of "unscannable for advanced threats".
- If systems were left idle for over 30 days, messages received unscannable verdicts
- An application error appeared when Host IP details were saved in Content Encryption.
- An application error appeared when an action was edited or added to a Reputation policy.
- In some cases, the MTA hung when a large number of messages were deleted from the delivery queue.