Asus gebruikt voor zijn nieuwere routers, zoals de RT-AC66U en RT-AC87U, van Tomato afgeleide firmware met de naam Asuswrt. Deze firmware is, op enkele drivers na, opensource, waarbij de gesloten binaries wel meegeleverd worden. Asuswrt-merlin is op zijn beurt een aangepaste versie van de originele firmware van Asus. Het bevat onder meer bugfixes en kleine verbeteringen, maar probeert toch dicht bij het origineel te blijven, zodat het mogelijk blijft om nieuwe features die Asus introduceert toe te voegen aan de code. Versie 380.62 is uitgekomen en hierin zijn de volgende veranderingen en verbeteringen doorgevoerd:
- Added nano 2.7.0 (user-friendly text editor) Documentation. Note that for space reasons, some of its features are disabled for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U. Entware users might want to uninstall the Entware version if they had it installed and want to use the built-in version instead.
- Option to toggle the display of passwords on the PPTPD and OpenVPN server pages.
- Allow providing a vendor class on the WAN page (DHCP option 60)
- Add option to disable sending a RELEASE request when odhcp6c exits, allowing you to retain your received prefix with some ISPs.
- Merged with GPL 3831.
- Updated nettle to 3.2 (used for dnssec) and increased optimization level.
- Updated minidlna to 1.1.6
- Updated OpenVPN to 2.3.12
- Updated OpenSSL to 1.0.2i
- Revamped the Wireless Log page:
- Merged some columns to gain more horizontal space
- Longer hostname shown (truncated names are now shown in a tooltip)
- Display clients' IPv6 if they have one
- Accept up to 250 characters for OpenVPN client's username and password (one provider needs 64).
- Hide the WPA key on the Wireless config page, and only reveal it when you click on the field to edit it.
- updated dropbear to 2016.74.
- OpenVPN client shouldn't display policy routing settings when using a TAP interface.
- DSL/ATM overhead setting was visible on MIPS models, which don't support it.
- Editing OpenVPN or PPTP users with any value longer than 32 chars could lead to corruption of the user list.
- Custom config file for igmpproxy wasn't working.
- After turning off a Guest network, the next visit to the Wireless Settings page would show that guest network's settings instead of the parent band settings (Asus bug)
- Smart Connect rules didn't apply on the RT-AC88U (backported fix from 380_3941).
- Numerous memory leaks in the networkmap service. (Asus bug)
- Potential buffer overrun in the networkmap service. (Asus bug)
- Broken IPv6 connectivity if enabling SSH brute force protection (only MIPS models were affected)
- 5G LED would fail to turn back on when exiting stealth mode.
- Only hostname was used as remote server in an exported OpenVPN client config when using Namecheap DDNS.
- Security vulnerability (XSS/CSR) in httpd (backported fix from 380_4005).
- Chrome would try to autofill some fields (such as on the DDNS configuration page), which could be problematic.
- IPTraffic database was no longer properly named after the router's MAC address on the AC88/AC3100/AC5300. If you recently enabled it, you will need to either re-create a new database, or rename the existing database from tomato_cstats_000000000000.gz to tomato_cstats_XXXXXXXXXXXX.gz, where "XXXXXXXXXXXX" is your MAC as found with "nvram get et2macaddr", in lowercase (AC88/AC3100/AC5300 only).
Regular traffic monitoring (stored in tomato_rstats_XXXXXXXXXXXX.gz) is fine.
- Connected OpenVPN clients reporting as disconnected on the status page following any wireless config change (Asus bug)
- OpenVPN server would report being "Initializing" while it already was ready, following any wireless config change (Asus bug)
- Various stability issues with minidlna (reverted some of Asus's customizations)
- Do not enforce b/g mode as "auto" if wireless mode is also set to Auto.