Versie 8.0.3 is uitgekomen van FreeNAS. Met dit pakket kan een in het netwerk opgenomen computer als 'network attached storage' worden ingezet, dus puur en alleen voor het opslaan van data. Het geheel is gebaseerd op FreeBSD versie 8.2 en voorzien van een overzichtelijke webinterface. Waar de systeemeisen in versie 7 nog heel laag waren en het prima op een oude computer kon draaien, is er voor versie 8 iets uitgebreidere hardware nodig. Sinds versie 8.0.1 zijn de volgende veranderingen en verbeteringen doorgevoerd:
- Use smaller block and frag sizes for /etc and /var .
- Import a build tweak to nuke /var/db/pkg to save ~7MB space.
- Other build tweaks to remove non-essential features and packages from the image.
- Disable output to /var/log/console.log in non-debug builds to avoid unnecessary duplication in /var/log/messages .
- Upgrade ataidle to 2.6.
- Upgrade nut / net-snmp to 2.6.2 and 5.7.1, respectively.
- Import omnibus build system fixes to fix the fact that the 8.0.3-BETA1 image was broken due to the environment of the build machine where it was produced on. This also fixes other items, such as DDNS because of build environment tainting.
- Increase the /var md size from 74MB to 160MB s.t. samba will be able to service requests copying large sets of files, and the rest of the system will be able to play nicely with samba to a certain degree. More tuning is required for larger samba userbases.
- Add kernel tunable / sysctl support.
- Hide Etc/GMT* timezones as they're behavior is counterintuitive and conflicts with Windows 7 semantics (see r8707).
- Bump samba from 3.5.11 to 3.6.1.
- Address simple failure cases with getting Kerberos tickets (clock skew) and joining AD domains (invalid passwords, bad short domain names, etc) so that users could better rectify improperly configured NAS boxes; this means that if either of these cases fail, the GUI will now inform the user that the 'Active Directory' service is stopped.
- Fix cachetool to better prevent potential race condition at boot between winbindd and ix-cache.
- Add knob for enabling/disabling Zeroconf/Bonjour (avahi) support in the GUI. For technical reasons outside of the author's control, this feature defaults to off when upgrading FreeNAS. FreeNAS admins anticipating that they will have Mac users attempting to connect to CIFS shares should enable this feature.
- Bump netatalk to 2.2.1.
- Add knob for controlling the maximum number of configurable connections (see ticket: 847).
- Only advertise services via avahi if they're enabled (see ticket: 852).
- NFSv4 ACL support (see: r8375, r8414).
- Fix NTFS volume imports.
- ZFS volume deletion failed when trying to delete zvol with the name 'zvol'.
- SSH pubkey saving was broken unless you manually add a newline to the text box.
- Fix traceback when trying to edit user if ssh public key was not specified.
- Fix the bug in rsync tasks where it would strip the trailing '/' off the end of the destination path.
- Fix a validation error when editing users / groups in 8.0.2+ where if one entered in a path that wasn't valid, the GUI would traceback instead of punting the actual validation error.
- Fix an issue where if one entered in an invalid path, the GUI would traceback instead of providing feedback stating that the directory provided was invalid.
- Rsync task/crontab generation was broken with AD usernames and other unsanitized input.
- Fix email regressions since 8.0.2-RELEASE-p1 (SMART emails now work with more than one recipient, non-SMTP authentication based emails work again).
- Fix an issue where if one autosnap process was killed uncleanly, more autosnap processes could back up and eventually deadlock the system.
- Fix an issue where the ZFS scrub cronjobs would execute every 30 days instead of a number divisible by 7, so what would generally happen is that ZFS scrubs would generally execute in the middle of the week.
- Fix setting httpd to listen on an interface which is not the first interface.
- Add logic to create home directories on demand instead of failing 'silently' if the path to the directory didn't already exist.
- Fix 'detaching' NTFS/UFS volumes so that it unmounts the volume in the FreeBSD backend.
- Change the default workgroup from FREENAS to WORKGROUP as having the same name for the workgroup and the hostname is illegal per the SMB/CIFS protocol.
- Change "SSH key" in GUI to "SSH Public Key".
- Fix GUI trademarks and branding to be more consistent with proper branding, similar to what TrueNAS does today.
Major changes since 8.0.1-RELEASE
- The email subsystem was not working correctly in 8.0.1-RELEASE, which resulted in the system not being able to send mail, as well as of the alerting system in the GUI.
Changes since 8.0.1-RELEASE
- Allow decimal numbers for a dataset quota. (r8728)
- Fix setting recursive ACLs. (r8270)
- Start proftpd after ix-ssl to use the correct SSL cert. (r8246)
- Use wildcards in cron and rsync jobs instead of listing all values. (r8214, r8211)
- Fix case in iSCSI targets to match the behavior specified by RFC 3722. (r8120)