De ontwikkelaars van Pidgin - de nieuwe naam van Gaim - hebben na het uitbrengen van zeven bètaversies eindelijk de langverwachte finalversie van de 2.0.0-release uitgebracht. De final kan via deze pagina vanaf diverse mirrorservers gedownload worden voor Windows. Ook kan vanaf diezelfde locatie de broncode naar binnen gehaald worden, waarmee een platformspecifieke build kan worden gecomplieerd. Pidgin is een opensource en crossplatform instantmessenger waarmee ingelogd kan worden op de netwerken van onder meer MSN, ICQ en Jabber. De 2.0.0-versie wordt geleverd met een waslijst aan veranderingen in de buddy list, log viewer, plugins en de nodige aanpassingen in de ondersteuning en het gebruik van de chatprotocollen. Hieronder is het complete changelog gepost van versie 1.5.0:
- The project has new names - libpurple for the core, Pidgin for the GTK+ UI and Finch for the ncurses based console UI (AOL LLC)
- With the Core/UI split complete, it is now possible to build libpurple without any UIs, creating a library upon which other UIs may be constructed
- A new ncurses-based console UI called Finch is now available (Sadrul Habib Chowdhury, Google Summer of Code)
- Reorganized the source tree to split apart the code for the UI changes and libpurple targets
- libxml2 is now required. We switched from gmarkup to libxml2 for more correct XML parsing.
- The code dealing with buddy and account status, away messages, away states, online/offline, etc has been completely rewritten. Huge thanks to Christian Hammond, Dave West, Daniel Atallah and Sadrul Habib Chowdhury.
- Your status can now be set from inside the buddy list using the selector at the bottom of the window.
- To see messages when a buddy signs on or off, goes away, or becomes idle, load the "Buddy State Notification" plugin
Conversations and Chats:
- Performance when manipulating and displaying the buddy list has been significantly improved (Aaron Sheldon, Google Summer of Code)
- Buddy icons are now shown in tooltips (Felipe Contreras)
- Tooltips now contain additional information about a "Person" that contains multiple online buddies
- Added a "Last Seen" field to buddy tooltips
- Contacts will auto-expand when buddies are dragged around
- If Pidgin is exited with the buddy list hidden in the docklet, it will remain hidden when Pidgin is started again (Scott Shedden)
- Improved buddy list searching with CTRL+F
- Ability to set a buddy icon for all of your accounts at once via the buddy list (You can still set per-account icons via the account editor)
- The space wasted by the group expanders has been eliminated and the expander setting in .gtkrc-2.0 is no longer needed
- Authorization requests don't popup new dialogs anymore. They are displayed at the bottom of the buddy list instead.
- New mail notifications don't popup new dialogs anymore. They are displayed at the top of the buddy list instead.
- Timestamps honor the locale. To use the traditional style, enable the "Message Timestamp Formats" plugin. The plugin also provides options to show dates in timestamps.
- Messages from buddies in the same "Person" will automatically use the same conversation window.
- The "Send As" menu has been replaced with a more appropriate "Send To" menu based on "Persons" on your buddy list
- Message formatting persists between messages (Igor Belyi)
- Full message background colors are now supported
- Smooth scrolling when receiving a new message
- Screenname colors in chats now chosen intelligently
- Conversation buffer scrollback limited to avoid large memory usage in active conversations
- Control-Shift-Tab will reverse cycle through the conversation tabs (James Vega)
- Many problems related to having an IM conversation and a chat open with the same name are fixed (Andrew Hart)
- Warning dialog when closing a window with unread IM messages
- In chats right-click on names in the conversation window to IM/Send File/Get info/ignore the user
- Added tab management options to the tab right-click menu (Sadrul Habib Chowdhury)
- Brand new message queueing system. Sounds are played when a message is queued rather than when the message is dequeued (Casey Harkins)
- Ability to find the last message from a user in a chat (Levi Bard and Sadrul Habib Chowdhury)
- Formatting is preserved across messages (There are known issues with pasting formatted text. Either use "Paste as Plain Text", hit Ctrl-R after pasting, or use the Clear Formatting button on the toolbar.)
- Performance while joining large chat rooms has been significantly improved (Aaron Sheldon, Google Summer of Code)
- Bi-Directional text support improvements for GtkIMHtml (Shlomi Loubaton)
- Beautiful new default sounds (Brad Turcotte)
- Use GStreamer for playing sounds, instead of libao
- A volume control in the preferences (Casey Harkins)
- Log viewer aggregates logs from the same "Person"
- When opening the log viewer, show the most recent log by default (Peter McCurdy)
- Logs are now saved with the current timezone, which is displayed in the log viewer
- Text logs are linkified, so URLs are clickable
- The old logger now caches file offsets, so opening the log viewer for buddies with old logs should be much faster now if you have large log files (except the first time for a log, when the cache is built)
- Plugins are now accessed through a separate dialog from the Tools menu of the Buddy List
- Newly installed plugins can now be activated without restarting Pidgin (Sadrul Habib Chowdhury)
- Overhauled the system tray/docklet plugin (Casey Harkins)
- Text Replacement Plugin rewritten, works in real time and far more intuitively (Benjamin Kahn)
- Entries in the text replacement plugin are now sorted alphabetically
- The text replacement plugin allows non-whole-word replacement rules (Levi Bard)
- The text replacement plugin offers both case sensitive matching and automatic case handling
- I'dle Ma'ker plugin now has an easier method to unidle accounts, a way to idle all accounts at once, and a way to unidle all accounts idled via the plugin (John Bailey, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury)
- The Evolution Integration plugin now supports Groupwise contacts
- Mono plugin loader (Eoin Coffey)
- Perl plugin loader has been rewritten (John Kelm, Google Summer of Code)
- New music messaging plugin (Christian Muise, Google Summer of Code)
- gaim-remote has been superceded by new DBUS bindings within libpurple (Piotr Zielinski, Google Summer of Code)
- The purple-url-handler program has been added to provide a way to automatically launch IM links via Pidgin or Finch.
- The functionality of the auto-reconnect plugin has been moved into the core, and the plugin itself has been removed.
- 'Highlight when nick said' option added to Message Notification plugin.
- The system tray icon is now properly transparent (Dan Winship)
- New Log Reader plugin that can read and display logs from Adium, MSN Messenger, and Trillian in the log viewer
- New Contact Availability plugin that attempts to predict the times when people in your buddylist will most likely respond to you, based on times in the past when they have responded (Geoffrey Foster, Google Summer of Code)
- A few new plugins: Autoaccept, Autoreply, Buddy Notes, New Line, Offline Message Emulation, Conversation Colors and Markerline
- Custom smiley receiving support (Irving Cordova & Francesco Fracassi)
- Added support for sending (with the /nudge command) and receiving "nudges" (Julien Cegarra, Martin Bayard)
- Added an account action to open your Hotmail inbox from MSN
- Bi-directional text is correctly handled now (Shlomi Loubaton)
- Stealth Settings have been implemented
- Doodle is now supported (Andrew Dieffenbach, Google Summer of Code)
- Buddies' requests to add you to their lists now prompt for authorization
- Account option to ignore chat and conference invitations (Peter Lawler)
- Added a /list command to bring up the room list (Peter Lawler)
- ICQ file transfer support with newer ICQ clients (Jonathan Clark, Google Summer of Code)
- Many overall improvements to AIM and ICQ file transfers (Jonathan Clark, Google Summer of Code)
- Support for pausing and resuming AIM and ICQ file transfers (Graham Booker)
- Ability to set ICQ "require authorization" and "web aware" setting (Ettore Simone)
- ICQ encoding fix for offline buddies (Ilya Konstantinov)
- SSL support for IRC connections (Daniel Atallah)
- Show an error message when temporarily unable to join an IRC channel or change your nick
- Added /nickserv, /memoserv, /chanserv and /operserv commands (Joao Lu√≠s Marques Pinto)
- Added CTCP VERSION via /version (Andrej Krivulƒç√≠k)
- Added /whowas command (achris)
- Support for SRV lookups
- Support for buddy icons
- Jabber User Directory searching
Other Protocol Changes:
- Whiteboard support (Pekka Riikonen)
- Sending/receiving images in IMs (Pekka Riikonen)
- Cipher and HMAC selection support (Pekka Riikonen)
- Buddy Icon support (Pekka Riikonen)
Other Noteworthy Changes:
- Bonjour (Rendezvous) protocol support (Juanjo Molinero Horno, Google Summer of Code)
- Updated Gadu-Gadu protocol support (Bartosz Oler, Google Summer of Code). This requires the libgadu library. See http://pidgin.im/faq.php#libgadu for more information.
- SIP/SIMPLE support (Thomas Butter, Google Summer of Code)
- Sametime protocol support Requires the meanwhile library: http://meanwhile.sourceforge.net
- QQ protocol support (Mark Huetsch, Google Summer of Code, and the developers of the OpenQ project)
- Removed the Napster and TOC protocols plugins
- NAT traversal support via UPnP (Adam J. Warrington, Google Summer of Code)
- NAT traversal support via NAT-PMP (Evan Schoenberg and R. Tyler Ballance)
- The modify account dialog now contains two tabs, which should display better at lower resolutions (Sadrul Habib Chowdhury)
- New "find buddy" results dialog (Alex Converse)
- People using input methods can now use Enter again
- Mouse-over hyperlink coloring is now themeable
- Buddy Pounces now have a proper management window. (Kevin Stange)
- Buddy icons maintain aspect ratio when resized
- The last used directory is remembered for opening or saving files and buddy icons
- Add an SVG version of our desktop icon, pidgin.svg (John Oyler)
- If a given protocol doesn't support privacy, we now handle blocking in the core. (Jean-Yves Lefort)
- Smiley themes can now include spaces in the smiley definitions. The spaces (and now backslashes) must be backslash-escaped. (Sadrul Habib Chowdhury)
- New e-mail notices are now grouped into one dialog. (Sadrul Habib Chowdhury, Chris Stafford)
- "Open" in the File Transfer window integrates with GNOME, KDE, and Windows and falls back to the browser in other environments.
- On Mac OS X, the keyboard/mouse idle time pref now uses system idle time instead of X11 idle time (Michael Culbertson)
- Autocomplete in the buddy pounce dialog (Sadrul Habib Chowdhury)
- Non-blocking socket I/O is used in most protocol plugins
- All-new icons all over the place (Hylke Bons)
- Preferences have been substantially reorganized and cleaned up
- Smiley theme descriptions are now shown correctly for the highlighted smiley theme (Levi Bard)
- All Buddy List preferences have been moved to the Buddies menu of the buddy list window.
- Proxy settings will be taken from Gnome if it is running. These may still be overridden on a per-account basis.
- Removed "Dim idle buddies;" behavior is now always enabled
- Removed keyboard shortcut preferences for ctrl-B/I/U; enabled by default, but won't interfere with bindings set by the GTK theme
- Removed keyboard shortcuts preferences for ctrl-# to insert a smiley; behavior removed from Pidgin
- Removed "Enter" vs. "Ctrl-Enter" to send; "Enter" sends by default, but it is now possible to change this binding in your GTK theme
- Removed "Show multi-colored screennames in chats;" behavior is now always enabled and screenname colors automatically adjust themselves to compensate for background color.
- Removed "Raise Buddy List Window on Events" and the related behavior
- Removed "Display remote nicknames if no alias is set"
- Removed "Show idle times" and "Show warning levels" on the buddy list; behavior is now always enabled
- Removed "Auto-expand contacts;" contacts expand only when dragging buddies around the buddy list
- Removed conversation and buddy list buttons and related preferences
- Removed "Raise conversation window" preferences; moved feature to the notify plugin
- Removed "Show alias in tabs/titles;" behavior is now always enabled
- Removed "Show formatting toolbars;" the setting in conversations' "Options" menu now affects the global preference
- Removed "Show timestamps;" behavior is now enabled, but is overridden by the timestamp plugin
- Removed all protocol options pages
- Removed "Escape closes windows;" default key binding is now Ctrl-W
- Removed "Log when buddies sign on/sign off/become idle/become un-idle/go away/come back" and "Log your own actions;" all of these will be logged when the system log is enabled
- Removed the separate ignore formatting preferences; behavior has been consolidated into a single preference