G@meFre@k meldt ons dat de makers van Winzip een nieuwe beta van 8.1 online hebben gezet. Deze versie heeft een verbeterde FileSplit tegenover beta 1. Ook worden nu Chinese en andere Aziatische tekens in bestandsnamen ondersteund. Hieronder het complete changelog van beta 2:
- In Beta 1, WinZip would sometimes misidentify a split Zip file that had been copied to diskettes as a spanned Zip file. The program logic used to determine whether a multi-disk Zip file is split or spanned has been improved, and this should no longer be a problem.
- Support for filenames containing multi-byte character set (MBCS) characters used with Asian languages such as Japanese, Chinese, and Korean has been improved.
- The dialog that displays the archive types with which WinZip can be associated has been enlarged so that all file types can be seen without scrolling.
- In WinZip's setup wizard, the dialog in which the installation folder is chosen now has a Browse button.
- Under Windows 98, logging off and then back on again would result in the Quick Pick taskbar tray icon not restarting. This has been corrected.
- During multi-file extracts, warning dialogs in some cases were hidden behind the active program's window, but there was no taskbar button allowing the user to return to WinZip. This has been corrected.
- Miscellaneous other minor fixes, enhancements, and improvements to the program help.