VHware meldt dat bij 3DNow.org een aantal AMD nieuwtjes vanuit de CeBIT beurs in Hannover gepost zijn. Interessant is de pic van de Spitfire, een value versie van de Athlon met full-speed L2 cache die gebruik zal maken van Socket A. Hieronder de soep:
- No K6-2+ for the desktop, just mobile. Same for K6-III+. Both chips will have power reduction technology. I saw it working and it looks like good stuff.
- AMD had a 1116 MHz Athlon (copper chip from Dresden) running. This was a standard Athlon still, no Thunderbird. Nothing more shown than a 3D demo and the clock speed readout, though, to show that copper works.
- I saw the first sample of a Socket A Athlon, which obviously had to be a Spitfire with on-die cache. The chip surface has a greenish tint (as opposed to Coppermine's blue tint) and there are some little chips on top of the ceramics. Cool gold print of the AMD letters and some other writing. Image © by Computec Media AG
- Lots of KX133 and Irongate boards with many major manufacturers.
- Athlon 950 samples had been distributed to several OEMs
- FIC had a 1 GHz air cooled Athlon running
- Saw Voodoo5 in action but it was still alpha silicon, looked pretty spiffy on antialiasing, though