Voor het uitwisselen van bestanden kan je op het Mac OS X-platform gebruik maken van het programma iGet. Dit programma is speciaal geschreven voor dit platform en bevat daardoor een aantal exclusieve functies zoals 'remote Spotlight searching' - het via je eigen Mac zoeken naar bestanden die op een andere Mac-computer staan. De verbindingen worden voorzien van een SSH-beveiliging om buitenstaanders geen kijkje te gunnen in je bestanden. Five Speed Software heeft versie 2.5 uitgebracht met de volgende aanpassingen:
iGet 2.5 is a major update which includes significant improvements in the user interface, brings performance enhancements and bug fixes, and introduces some new advanced SSH authentication options. Enhancements in this version include:
Redesigned New Connection interface:
SSH public key authentication support:
- iGet now displays the local network (Bonjour), the list of favorite connections, and the list of recent connections in the New Connection window.
- Double-clicking a remote Mac in any of the lists now immediately connects if iGet knows how to authenticate (if the password is in the Keychain or if iGet can connect via the new public key authentication support).
- The typing auto-completion behavior when entering connection information manually has been refined. In particular, iGet now always suggests an appropriate username when you change the hostname
- The checkbox to control whether or not iGet uses the Keychain to save (and load) passwords has been enlarged and disambiguated. This change makes it clearer when you are not saving the password (e.g. when using somebody else's Mac to connect to your own).
By popular demand, iGet now supports advanced authentication via SSH public key encryption (instead of using a password). This includes:
Improvements to iGet Favorites and Shortcut files:
- connecting to a remote Mac using public key encryption, via keys defined in a standard OpenSSH key file
- optionally decrypting the key file on the fly (the passphrase is stored in the Keychain)
- a new Security preferences pane for enabling key-based authentication and specifying your key file
The Favorites list in is implemented using iGet shortcuts. So the improvements to shortcut files apply to Favorites as well.
- There is a new window providing a brand new user interface for managing favorites. Favorites can now be created, edited, deleted, or saved to disk.
- iGet shortcut files are now indexed by Spotlight.
- iGet shortcut files can now have user-defined notes associated with them.
- The Favorites list is now available from the iGet dock menu.
- The Favorites menu (and new dock menu) now use more informative menu item titles, including not only the remote Mac name/hostname, but also the remote folder name and remote user account name.
- The date column in the files list window now intelligently reformats the date to fit the width of the column (e.g. "November 1, 2006" becomes "11/13/06" when the column is resized to a narrow width).
- The explanatory text of some alerts has been improved.
- Text editing now supports undo when entering hostnames, usernames, and passwords.
- iGet now automatically expands the files window as necessary when a new search is started.
- Improved the UI for selecting the default download location.
- iGet's preferences window has been reorganized, to accommodate new options.
- The Get Info function no longer opens multiple windows for the same remote item (instead the existing window is brought to the front).
- Corrected a display issue with progress indicator in the Get Info window.
- Fixed a bug that could cause iGet to unexpectedly disconnect when uploading to a remote Mac whose hard disk is full. It now correctly reports that the transfer could not be completed, but remains connected.
- Two small memory leaks have been fixed.
- Fixed a bug that could cause iGet to crash if the user left the remote Mac fingerprint confirmation sheet on the screen for several minutes, then came back to the Mac and pressed Accept and Save after the remote Mac had timed out the connection attempt.
- Fixed a bug with tabbing and shift-tabbing between fields in the remote Spotlight search windows when configuring a search query.
- Corrected a bug which could cause iGet to crash, or display a cryptic error message, if a connection was cancelled while the connection was still being established.
- Fixed a bug that could cause iGet to fail to resolve a domain name until a new connection window was opened.
- A few other minor bugs, and typographical errors have been corrected.