De ontwikkelafdeling van DivX heeft versie 6 van zijn codec en software gereleast. De nieuwe serie wordt gekenmekt door onder meer de ondersteuning van XSUB-ondertiteling, menu's en hoofdstukindeling. De DivX-codec is gebaseerd op de MPEG4-standaard, maar voegt daar eigen features aan toe. Versie 6 is beschikbaar in verschillende uitvoeringen. Zo is er het zogenoemde afspeelpakket beschikbaar waarmee DivX 6-content kan worden afgspeeeld. Met behulp van het shareware programma DivX Create zijn DivX 6-films te maken. Meer informatie over de nieuwe features kan je vinden in dit topic op het forum van DivX. In hetzelfde document staat specifieke informatie over de meegeleverde software. Hieronder zijn de release notes gepost van de nieuwbakken DivX:
Here's a feature rundown for the tech-heads among us:
- Support for the DivX Media Format is enabled in third-party media players. In this first rev of our DivX Media Format filters we have tested against Windows Media Player 6.4 through 10. "What the *!?" I hear you cry. We have also begun development for several other popular players, but many of these are not directly compatible with our filters yet. Better support in other players will follow as we release the DivX 6 SDK. If you are a developer please get in touch so we can hook you up with what you need.
- When you play DivX media files you should see a DivX toolbar icon popping up in your system tray where it is possible to select audio tracks, subtitles, chapter points, video tags, and change playback settings. From the toolbar you can also access the DivX Menu Navigator control. The DivX Menu Navigator makes it possible to use both mouse and key control for navigation in most players.
- The DivX 6 decoder includes enhanced post-processing that is both optimized for PSNR and faster than that of the DivX 5 decoder.
- We've redesigned the DivX codec encoder interface to better group related items and enable easier navigation. Gone are the popup wizard dialogs of yesteryear! The encoder window also has smaller dimensions, which will be a real boost for those of you still crazy enough to be running at 800x600 Wink
- The encoding mode breakdown has been reworked to include modes ranging from Fastest through Insane quality to better balance encoding rate versus video quality. Most modes feature rate-distortion optimization and visible quality differentiation.
- We have added Extreme and Insane quality modes to the encoder. Extreme quality will give you production quality video, but for those who always want the absolute best, Insane mode enables all the internal bells and whistles to guarantee the maximum video quality.
- DivX codec now includes PSNR optimized H.263 quantization for superior retention of detail when compressing the picture.
- 4MV search is enabled in Portable, Home Theater, High Definition and Unconstrained profiles, allowing for better quality at lower resolutions, improved sharpness and reduced ringing artifacts.
- Multiple consecutive bi-directional coding is enabled in High Definition profile. All bi-directional coding now uses the packed schema. Up to two consecutive B-VOPs are enabled in High Definition profile, and up to three are enabled in Unconstrained profile.
- The VBV for Portable profile has been changed to take advantage of real-world DivX Certified portable devices enabling higher video quality. Video created under Portable profile in DivX 5 codec is fully compatible with the new VBV model.
- The Encoder Feedback Window now includes a Lite version that consumes less space on the desktop and allows you to monitor progress during encoding. It's possible to switch between the Lite version and the full Feedback Window, and from the Feedback Window Lite you can set the process priority incase you want to do some other work while encoding. The Feedback Windows does introduce some impact on encoding rate, and we will be addressing this in future.