Mozilla heeft een nieuwe milestone uitgebracht van zijn mail- en nieuws-client Thunderbird. Het gaat om versie 0.5 en is gebaseerd op App Suite 1.6. Thunderbird is in staat om e-mail te versturen en te ontvangen via de POP- en IMAP-protocollen. Daarnaast kan het programma berichten van nieuwsgroepen lezen en plaatsen. Deze release is beschikbaar voor Linux, MacOS X, Windows en Solaris. Tweakers die zelf erop los willen bakken, kunnen met behulp van de source hun eigen versie compileren. De volgende release notes zijn beschikbaar gesteld door Mozilla:
Recently Fixed Bugs
- We now support the notion of multiple identities per mail account. This makes it easy to have several email addresses which end up going into the same account. Read More about how to hook this up.
- Thunderbird 0.5 includes Secure Password Authentication using a new cross-platform NTLM authentication mechanism for POP3 and SMTP.
- Option to turn on the Mozilla 1.x style folder columns in Thunderbird (Tools / Options / Advanced / General Settings).
- A new Palm Sync Address book conduit is now available for 0.5. You can now do a one way sync, PC -> Palm or Palm -> PC, by changing the hot sync conduit setup. We now prevent duplicate cards in Thunderbird address books when syncing with Palm categories. Numerous improvements with the initial sync.
- A new, improved version of the offline extension is now available for 0.5. Please read the installation notes in this document about how to first uninstall old extensions.
- Improved Spell Checker including a new US dictionary.
- Ability to paste names or addresses from a spreadsheet directly into the addressing widget of a new compose window.
- Improved profile migration from Netscape 4.x.
- If a new message arrives while you are reading a message, we no longer scroll the message body back to the top.
- When saving an IMAP attachment, we no longer re-download the attachment from the server.
- Saving an attachment now brings up a standalone progress window.
- Copying a message to a Sent Folder now shows progress in the progress window.
- When saving or opening an attachment, the progress dialog now reports accurate progress information.
- We now mark IMAP messages read in a folder if they are deleted or moved to another folder. This fixes incorrect unread counts when checking folders other than the Inbox for new messages.
- LDAP searches now honor the directory search filter property.
- Ability to paste a single cell of data from Microsoft Excel into the compose window body.
- Problems with IMAP folders three levels deep not showing up when you are not using the IMAP subscription model.
- Tools / Options / Attachments / Attachment Folder setting is now remembered.
- Linux builds no longer crash when viewing HTML messages requiring a JAVA plugin.
- Improved handling of apple double encoded attachments from OSX clients.
- No more new mail alert notifications when all incoming messages are Junk.
- "Remove from server after x days" has been implemented for POP3 mail accounts.
Improved Stability and Polish
- Faster folder loading.
- This release is based on the Mozilla App-Suite 1.6 final branch and includes all of the stability work that went into Mozilla 1.6.
- *Important* If you used a prior version of Thunderbird and installed themes OR extensions, you need to do the following or Thunderbird will NOT run properly. Find your profile directory. There should be a sub-directory called chrome. Remove everything in chrome. This will not affect your mail data or preferences. You will then need to re-install the 0.5 compatible version of any themes/extensions you want.
- Linux: Thunderbird properly dispatches browser URLs to the default browser. Read more about how to hook this up.
- The default dictionary is English-only. To add a non-English dictionary, read the installation instructions.
- The enable/disable option for adaptive junk mail detection appears to apply to all accounts (Tools / Junk Mail Controls / Adaptive Filters). It is, however, a PER ACCOUNT option. To set the option for a specific account, choose the account in the 'Account:' dropdown on the 'Settings' panel, then switch to the 'Adaptive Filters' panel and set the option. Repeat per account as needed.
- Some users are reporting problems with Junk Mail Controls not working. First, make sure the adaptive filters are enabled for the account in question. If that is the case, try removing training.dat from your profile and then re-training the filters.
- Mozilla App-Suite profiles are not currently migrated to Thunderbird. You can migrate your Mozilla profile by hand.
- The default theme is almost finished. There are still some Classic theme icons in the UI. Please do not file bugs about icons not being converted to the new theme.
- Linux: The 'Mark All Read' keyboard shortcut does not work.
- Mac OS X: Thunderbird does not open mailto/news urls from other apps.
- Mac OS X: Attachment file names in certain charactersets (like Korean) do not render quite right.
- If you use the mailnews.reply_header_authorwrote preference, it no longer accepts HTML. It is a unicode pref and you can use a UTF-8 editor to add international characters.
- When viewing a message with an inline image, the context menu item "View Image" brings up a small blank window.