Veel websites hebben een forum waar de gebruikers kunnen discuseren met elkaar. Hiervoor is een handig stukje software nodig zodat je verschillende rechten kan toekennen zodat het forum beheert kan worden. Één van de betere forum pakketten is vBulletin, deze is ontwikkeld voor een web server met een PHP omgeving en een MySQL database. Sinds twee dagen is er een nieuwe versie beschikbaar met 3.0.0 beta 5 als nummer. De release notes laten ons het volgende weten:
We are now proud to release vBulletin 3.0.0 Beta 5 to our customers. This release is predominantly an exercise in bug-fixing, although there has been some major work on the language system.
A lot of work has been put into re-phrasing a lot of the control panel text, following reports of problems relating to gender and plurality in non-english languages. As a result many phrases that existed in Beta 4 no longer exist, and many new phrases have been created.
We now encourage those people who intend to translate their boards into non-english languages to attempt to translate the control panel text, as available in the admin control panel language manager, and to report back if they experience any problems that we should look into.
Bug Fix Examples
There have been over 150 bugs fixed for this release, here are a few examples:
Many more bugs have been fixed, for a more complete list, see this list.
- CSS color picker now shows colors properly in Safari / Konqueror browsers
- CSS color picker HTML table overflow problem in Mozilla / Opera fixed
- Inability to edit Forum Jump Depth 0 items fixed (you can now also edit depth 4 items)
- Unreadable button labels when using system color scheme of white text on black background resolved
- Bad colors for moderator color key and access mask color key re-done for better legibility
- String length problems when using unicode characters resolved
- Useragent update for WOL fixed
- Many bug fxes related to unicode text, such as string length being incorrectly reported for unicode characters
Tarball Download Available
- User activation emails and lost password emails will not use the mailqueue, resulting in instant delivery
- Ability to disable the mailqueue system completely (useful for boards with small amounts of traffic)
- New COPPA system which requires date of birth to be entered and the appropriate page shown, this will cut down on under 13 registrations into a non COPPA group.
- vCard download (must be enabled in users' control panels) to allow the user profile to be placed into the address book
- Improved unicode support regarding strings
We have had a lot of requests of a .tar.gz version of the vBulletin 3 zip file. This is now available as an option in the members' area.
To upgrade your board, upload all files from the 'upload' folder in the zip file with the exception of install/install.php, then point your browser at install/upgrade.php. You should be automatically redirected to the appropriate upgrade script (upgrade1.php for people upgrading from vBulletin 2, upgrade2.php for people upgrading from vBulletin 3 Beta 3 and upgrade3.php for people upgrading from vBulletin 3 Beta 4).
To install vBulletin 3.0.0 Beta 5, follow the instructions in the vb3_beta5_readme.html file in the zip file from the members' area.
To discuss this release, please go here.