What's new WinHex?
* Wiping disk sectors, files, free drive space, slack space, and unused NTFS file records has been improved. It is now possible to specify multiple passes with different settings. In particular, the DoD (Department of Defense) 5220.22-M standard for sanitizing hard disks has been implemented.
This functionality and more is now also available in a dedicated and particularly easy-to-use IT security tool: X-Ways Security. With just a few mouse clicks you can securely shred confidential data or protect your privacy. http://www.x-ways.net/security/
* WinHex can now interpret and treat disk image files both as logical drives or physical disks. If interpreted as physical disks, WinHex can access and open the partitions contained therein individually as known from "real" physical hard disks. All of this is useful if you wish to examine the contents of disk images without copying them back to a disk, or to extract files from it. When an image file is open, use Tools | Disk Tools | Interpret File As Disk.
* The Clone Disk dialog has been optimized. Selecting image files as the source or destination is easier now.
* A new command in the Specialist Tools section allows to Bates-number all the files within a given folder and its subfolders. A constant prefix and a unique serial number are inserted between the filename and the extension in a way attorneys traditionally label paper documents for later accurate identification and reference in discovery or evidentiary use.
* Allows hex ASCII and ASCII text to be specified as the 2nd parameter of the Assign script command.
* Some minor improvements.