Boxee is platformonafhankelijke mediacentersoftware met een sociaal tintje. Het programma kan natuurlijk audio- en videobestanden afspelen, maar voegt daar ook sociale interactie met andere Boxee-gebruikers aan toe. Zo kunnen Boxee-vrienden je activiteiten volgen en kan je bepaalde content aanbevelen. Voor meer informatie verwijzen we jullie door naar deze pagina en daarnaast kan je ook in het [Ervaringen] Boxee - sociaal mediacenter-topic op ons forum terecht. De ontwikkelaars hebben enkele dagen geleden bètaversie 0.9.20 met verschillende buildnummers uitgebracht. Zo heeft de Mac OS X-versie buildnummer 0.9.20.10708 meegekregen, de Linux-versie draagt nummer 0.9.20.10710 en de Windows-versie heet officieel 0.9.20.10711. De lijst met veranderingen voor bètaversie 0.9.20 ziet er als volgt uit:
New features with this version since Boxee Alpha 0.9.14 point release
Major changes with this version since Boxee Alpha 0.9.14 point release
- Auto Login
Choosing 'Remember Password' at login will automatically log that user in at startup. This can be changed from Shutdown > Change User
- New Global Menu
All main media windows now open the Global Menu when going back. The Global Menu also holds your list of Shortcuts (a local list for the specific machine).
The Main Menu has a list of shortcuts that you control. Almost everything in Boxee can be added as a shortcut: an application, a favorite TV Show, a local folder on your computer.
- TV Show Library
The TV Shows library aggregates all available TV Show sources in Boxee and enables easy access for searching, filtering and sorting shows. An episode may be available from an online source (such as Netflix) or available locally on your computer. Boxee tries to identify all the available sources and let the you choose your favorite playback option.
- My Shows
Any of your favorite shows can be added to My Shows, to let you keep your favorites all in one place. Additionally once you add a show to My Shows, any new episodes of that show will automatically be added to your Queue.
- Movie Library
The Movie library aggregates all available Movie sources in Boxee and allows easy access for searching, filtering and sorting of the movies.
Search is supported for Movies, TV Shows, Music and Apps and can be accessed from the left menu.
The Queue is a list of stuff you'd like to watch or listen to. You can add TV shows, Movies, Internet streams, etc. to the Queue. If you've added a show to My Shows, new episodes of that show will be automatically added to your Queue.
The feed is a list of items shared with you by your Boxee friends.
You can share anything you can play in Boxee with your friends. Boxee also supports posting to Twitter and Facebook whenever you click Share (settings for this feature are on the Boxee website). You can also type a custom message whenever you share something.
You can run Boxee apps from the official Boxee App Library or from 3rd party repositories. The apps can be sorted by popularity or by release date. You can add your favorite apps to My Apps.
- Watch/Not Watched indication
A Video will automatically be marked as watched after a you finish watching it. You can also mark videos as watched or unwatched manually when clicking on them.
- Media Scanning
You can now specify the frequency of scanning for new media of folders on your computer. It provides for better performance and greater control over the process. You can manually initiate a scan when browsing local folders (Main Menu > Files) or define a folder as a new media source.
- Hardware Accelerated Video Decoding
Boxee can now accelerate decoding of H.264 videos using compatible graphics processing units (GPU). This means that machines with slower CPUs (such as Intel Atom) can now play high-definition content! This functionality is only available on Windows Vista and Windows 7 and a compatible video card. Note: Make sure you have installed the latest drivers for your video card and the latest version of DirectX
Fixed issues with this version since Boxee Alpha 0.9.14 point release
- Added: Support for running Boxee using Apple Mac Snow Leopard (10.6)
- Added: Support for running Boxee using Ubuntu Linux Karmic Koala (9.10)
- Added: Windows version is using DirectX instead of OpenGL
- Added: Support for old graphic cards that do not have pixel shader 2.0
- Added: Support applications to run using non-English Windows (e.g. Netflix, Pandora, Radio Time, Hulu, MLB, Tumblr, Atom, Facebook)
- Added: Support applications to run using non-Administrator Windows user
- Added: Account preferences such as Applications, Feeds and Queue are stored at the server, making it easy for you to quickly install and use your Boxee account from several computers and devices.
- Fixed: Windows and Mac CPU usage
- Fixed: Video podcasts failed to retrieve a redirected content
- Fixed: Click on Settings > Appearance > Region > date/time induced crash
- Fixed: Toggling between window to fullsceen did not rescale the window properly
- Fixed: Client sends special:// in thumbnail URL instead of real URL in Share / Watch actions
- Fixed: Remote control failed to start Boxee
- Fixed: Adult Hidden Apps feature also hide non-adult Apps
- Fixed: Getting Shares from a removed friend
- Fixed: Hitting the 'End' key on the Home screen causes Boxee to crash on both Mac and Windows
- Fixed: AppleTV crashes when accessing SMB shares (errors 4, 10, 11)
- Fixed: Netflix
- search not returning full results vs Netflix.com
- some recommended items appears on unsupported systems with Netflix action to watch movie
- Fixed: FailBlog
- crash while playing a video
- Fixed: MLB
- video stutter
- game video restarts on seek
- Fixed: BBC iPlayer
- play icon stays on top of video after the playback started
- content not being updated
- Fixed: MTV
- some videos did not start
- videos not cropped properly
- Fixed: Pandora
- crash while listening to music
- failure playing a station after connection, yet notifications appear and station can be manually picked and played
- Fixed: We Are Hunted
- crash during video playback
- Fixed: Revision3
- no feeds under DiggNation
- Fixed: Digg
- videos from Vimeo didn't start playback from friend activity
- Fixed: Crash while resolving media
- Fixed: Browsing UPNP network shares
- Fixed: Boxee resolves 2 parts of one movie as two movies
- Fixed: Cannot browse and play media from RAR and ZIP archive files
- Fixed: Unresolved videos directory appears even when no unresolved videos inside
- Fixed: Error while installing Boxee and bxflplayer-win32 process is active in background
- Fixed: Some Flash content not working on Windows XP
- Fixed: Movie name not displayed when paused
- Fixed: Albums, artists and track info are now based on ID3 tags
- Fixed: Playback of Audio CD displays an error and then no track info and thumbnail
- Fixed: Cannot choose and play a specific song from an album using a mouse
- Fixed: Some albums don't show artwork even though there's a folder.jpg and artwork is attached to the ID3 tag