Synology heeft een nieuwe bètaversie van Disk Station Manager uitgebracht, de software waarmee de diverse nas-producten van het bedrijf gebruik van maken. De Disk-, Cube- en Rackstations bieden meer dan alleen extra opslagruimte. Deze kunnen ook backups maken van alle clients op het netwerk en bestanden via http, ftp of bittorrent downloaden, zodat bijvoorbeeld de pc 's nachts uit kan terwijl de download wel gewoon binnenkomt. Verder kunnen via de ingebouwde iTunes-server audio- en videobestanden over het netwerk worden gestreamd, kan er met behulp van PHP en Mysql een dynamische website worden gehost en kan het als printserver fungeren.
In versie 2.0-0702 zijn een hoop nieuwe features toegevoegd. Zo kunnen de modellen met vier harde schijven nu gebruik maken van raid-6, kan de Smart-informatie van harde schijven worden uitgelezen, kunnen er meerdere backuptaken worden ingepland en kan de download manager ook met eMule- en nzb-bestanden overweg. Om van die laatste mogelijkheid gebruik te maken heb je overigens naast de nieuwe firmware ook de nieuwe versie van de Download Redirector nodig. Het volledige changelog van deze bètarelease is hieronder te vinden:
- RAID 6 Support: RAID 6 volume type cuts off the risk of volume failure and provides extra data protection. (Available on DS508, RS408, RS408-RP, RS407, RS-406, CS407, CS-406, CS407e, and CS-406e)
- NFS Support: With built-in NFS option, admin can quickly enable NFS and set up privileges on the UI by a few checks only.
- Link Aggregation: Provides load-sharing and failover support for dual-LAN-port models. Two modes are supported: IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic Link Aggregation and Adaptive Load Balancing (ALB). Read the Special Notes below for the compatible switch list. Note: Enabling Link Aggregation will disable PPPoE service. (Available on DS508, RS408, and RS408-RP)
- Virtual Host: Hosting multiple websites on one single server for a more efficient and economical purpose; both IP-based and name-based virtual hosting are supported.
- Batch Users Creating: By importing the user list, admin can now efficiently create a number of user accounts on a batch basis.
- HDD S.M.A.R.T.: The S.M.A.R.T. information and S.M.A.R.T. test are available on the management UI for admin to monitor, detect, and report the hard disks status, in a way to alert possible HDD failures. (Not supported on DS-101j)
- Enhanced Surveillance Station (Not supported on DS-101j):
- Alarm Recording Support: Other than Continuous Recording and Motion Detection Recording modes, a new option of Alarm Recording mode is now supported. In Alarm Recording mode, Surveillance Station records videos when receiving external I/O signals from the camera.
- MPEG-4 Support: Other than M-JPEG video format, MPEG-4 format streaming and video recording is also supported, which significantly reduces the storage capacity requirement.
- Megapixel Support: Depending on the IP cameras capability, megapixel video live-view and recording can be supported.
- Snapshot: Snapshot taking in live-view and event play back is available.
- Enhanced Management: Admin can go to Privilege page of Surveillance Station and grant other users the privileges of managing Surveillance Station, simply watch the live-view and events, or nothing at all. In addition, admin can now monitor the live-view on full screen, and manage the cameras by enabling/disabling cameras without deleting all the settings. Event recording can be stopped at anytime and played back immediately.
- Enhanced Performance: Depending on the IP cameras capability, admin can choose to implement the motion detection by camera rather than Surveillance Station, which further enhances the system performance.
- Additional 45 IP Cameras Support: 45 more IP camera models from Panasonic, Vivotek and LevelOne are added into the support list. Read the detailed camera list in Special Notes below. Synology Surveillance Station now support up to almost 70 IP camera models in total from 7 renowned brands.
- Enhanced Local Backup: Enables multiple scheduled Local Backup tasks with the assistance of Local Backup wizard, the backup destination can be either the external HDD or the shared folders on the internal HDD. From now on, the external attached HDD (EXT3 or FAT format) can be used as storage and backup disk simultaneously.
- Enhanced FTP Server: The advanced privilege of "write-only" is supported. In addition, limiting the maximum connections from each individual IP provides better bandwidth management together with the bandwidth restriction option. UTF-8 filename support which better handles multilingual characters is also optional.
- New Download Station 2: Other than BitTorrent/FTP/HTTP download, new download channels eMule and NZB are now supported by the Download Station 2. In addition, partial files download from BitTorrent is also allowed. Download Station 2 is now separated from the management UI and stands on an individual webpage.
- Enhanced File Station: Admin can designate his/her own File Station with a different port as well as customize webpage banner, so that users will login the File Station independent from the NAS server management UI. The advanced privilege of "write-only" is also supported.
- Enhanced Audio Station: No USB speakers are required for playing music stored on the server anymore. The new streaming mode streams .mp3 audio files to the client PC(1) and delivers by built-in speakers. A built-in playlist "Random100" will randomly choose and play 100 songs each time it is selected. (Not supported on DS-101j)
- Enhanced Photo Station 3: Admin can now customize Photo Station 3 background and theme in his/her own fashion, and sort photos and albums according to personal preference in the Settings area. Language setting is also modifiable based on his/her choice. The media RSS feed is now supported. Moreover, users can now enjoy the Photo Station 3 with PicLens dazzling full screen 3-dimensional photo slideshow(2).
- Note: After firmware upgrade and reboot, the system will re-create all thumbnails (bigger in size than the previous ones) and might take some time, depending on the amount of photos and videos stored in "photo" shared folder.
- Enhanced Windows ADS Compatibility: Better handles the Windows domains especially for those with a large number of domain users. Windows Server 2008 is also supported now. (Not supported on DS107e, DS108j, DS-106e, DS-106j, and DS-101j)
- Enhanced Mac OS Usability: Synology NAS servers will be automatically found by Bonjour protocol, including Finder and Safari browser (Bookmarks > Bonjour).
- Enhanced iTunes Server: m4a and m4p file formats are correctly indexed on iTunes server with tags information.
- Enhanced Hibernation: Improved hibernation mechanism is introduced particularly to solve the problem of Western Digital Green Power series HDDs' not sleeping while in hibernation.
- Enhanced Concurrent Connection Capability: The maximum concurrent connection number is now expanded to 256. (Available on DS508, RS408, and RS408-RP)
- Perl Support: Perl 5.8.6 is formally included in Synology Disk Station Manager 2.0. (Not supported on DS-101j)