Iets meer dan een week geleden is de vierde bčtarelease van versie 5.0 van de Ultimate Boot CD verschenen. De Ultimate Boot CD is een verzameling van een groot aantal opensource- en freeware programma's die bedoeld zijn voor het vinden en oplossen van voornamelijk hardwareproblemen. De bčta wordt alleen als Bittorrent-download aangeboden en is 214MB groot. Hieronder is te vinden wat er tot nu toe allemaal in versie 5.0 veranderd is:
- Updated fdubcd.igz to V1.1.
- Updated syslinux to V3.70.
- Updated fdubcd.img with as702's version.
- Added ClamAV and X-FProt, contributed by Icecube.
- Adopted Icecube's new color theme.
- Added "Back to UBCD" from Parted Magic's boot menu.
UBCD 5.0b1 main changes are as follows:
- Changed to using syslinux.exe for ubcd2usb. Old ubcd2usb script is moved to ubcd2usb.bak for those who wants to compare the old vs. new method. I plan to remove the .bak subdir in the final release if everything goes well.
- Offline NT Password & Registry Editor has been updated to the latest version.
- Added most suggestions by Icecube.
- Change dosubcd.img command.com back to the native one (instead of 4DOS).
- Added UDMA support to dosubcd.img, contributed by as702.
- Updated device.com (in \bin\modboot.cab)
- Removed cwsdpmi and spfdisk in \bin subdir. They are leftover from a previous experiment which I forgot to remove.
- Removed a ton of stuff from the UBCD. Basically, I am trying to keep the focus on system diagnosis and recovery, so apps that are deprecated, not relevant or not generic enough have been removed. These can always be added by the user via customization if required.
- Removed DOS-based NTFS access related stuff. Over the past year, I have found NTFS access under DOS to be problematic and prone to crashes. As such I have decided to find some other solution.
- Modified Erwin's DOS boot disk and added a "Default" bootup option that will skip all config dialogs, so it will boot much faster. All dosapps are now packaged as ZIP files that are unzipped to the RAM drive before execution.
- Integrated Parted Magic that provides access to NTFS partitions under Linux, which is far more robust and reliable than NTFS access under DOS. Bonus is USB drives can also be mounted more reliably, so this makes things easier when trying to fix or recover files in an NTFS partition. Parted Magic comes with a lot of other goodies too, such as GParted, TestDisk, PhotoRec etc. Even Firefox! I have also integrated F-Prot into the distro as well.
- Added help text for each menu item.
- UBCD2USB has been improved and tested under Dell D610 + Cruzer Micro 1GB USB memory stick. I couldn't get USB-ZIP mode to work under FreeDOS (FreeDOS will hang or be unable to read the filesystem), so I have only enabled USB-FDD and USB-HDD under makebootfat.exe. If any of you have ideas as to how to get FreeDOS to work with USB-ZIP, please let me know. But everything on the UBCD have been tested to be working under Dell D610 (but there are some hardware-specific stuff that I can't test).