X-Ways Software Technology heeft zojuist versie 13.0 van WinHex uitgebracht. WinHex is niet alleen een universele hex-editor, maar is ook in staat om low-level dataprocessing toe te passen via een makkelijke interface. Het programma beschikt onder andere over een RAM-editor, een Data Interpreter en een Disk-editor, en kan dus worden gebruikt om verwijderde informatie terug te halen en om bijvoorbeeld bestanden te inspecteren. Het changelog van deze release laat de volgende veranderingen zien:
- A totally new concept for reviewing search hits has been introduced. It supersedes the two main output methods known from logical searches before and combines the best of both worlds:
- From the former "List search hits" output option it inherits the ability to see search hit offsets and a context preview, the ability to see more context in the Sectors or File mode by simply clicking the hit, and to specially flag important search hits.
- From the former "Table of files with hits" output option it inherits the ability to see all properties of the files that contain the hits (i.e. all columns known from the directory browser), the ability to use a filter in conjunction with the search results, e.g. to view hits in all .doc and .xls files with certain timestamps only, and the ability to copy, view, tag or comment on files.
- The new search hit review concept allows to list search hits based on any position and level in the directory tree, e.g. all search hits in files in \Documents and Settings and subdirectories of the same, and even search hits from all evidence objects of the entire case at the same time, using the case root window!
- Also it's possible to conveniently select one or several search terms for search hit viewing, in the search term list in the Case Data window. Like that it's also an easy task to find out how many search hits there are for any given search term for any hierarchy level in the case tree.
- The new search hit lists are "dynamic" in that they are composed "on the fly" depending on selected search terms, current filter settings etc. and in that they can be non-destructively "thinned out" with the directory browser's context menu such that each file with at least one hit is listed no more than once. This allows to use the search hit list conveniently to copy files to one's own hard disk or to an evidence file container without duplicates.
- Search hits can be marked as notable with the directory browser context menu or by pressing the Space key. With the Space key you may also remove such a mark. The keyword list allows to create a quick overview of all hits marked as notable.
- There is now a true Unicode context preview for search hits.
- Old-styled search hits list can still be displayed by this version (will be phased out sooner or later with future versions), but cannot be produced any more.
- Ability to tag files in a recursively explored case root.
- Several other minor improvements.