De mensen van Microsoft hebben de tweede bŔtaversie uitgebracht van Windows Defender Windows Defender is de nieuwe naam van Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool en heeft een actieve scanner aan boord om ongewenste programma's zoals spyware en rootkits op te sporen. De nieuwe versie van Windows Defender is vanaf deze pagina te downloaden voor Windows 2000, Windows XP en Windows Server 2003, evenals de x64-varianten van Windows XP en Server 2003. De voglende release notes zijn door Microsoft bekendgemaakt:
Specific features of Windows Defender Beta 2 include:
Improvements in Windows Defender (Beta 2)
- A redesigned and simplified user interface – Incorporating feedback from our customers, the Windows Defender UI has been redesigned to make common tasks easier to accomplish with a warning system that adapts alert levels according to the severity of a threat so that it is less intrusive overall, but still ensures the user does not miss the most urgent alerts.
- Improved detection and removal – Based on a new engine, Windows Defender is able to detect and remove more threats posed by spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Real Time Protection has also been enhanced to better monitor key points in the operating system for changes.
- Protection for all users – Windows Defender can be run by all users on a computer with or without administrative privileges. This ensures that all users on a computer are protected by Windows Defender.
- Support for 64-bit platforms, accessibility and localization - Windows Defender Beta 2 also adds support for accessibility and 64-bit platforms. Microsoft also plans to release German and Japanese localized versions of Windows Defender Beta 2 soon after the availability of the English versions. Use WindowsDefenderX64.msi for 64-bit platforms.
- Enhanced performance through a new scanning engine.
- Streamlined, simplified user interface and alerts.
- Improved control over programs on your computer with enhanced Software Explorer.
- Multiple language support with globalization and localization features.
- Protection features for all users, whether or not they have administrator rights on the computer.
- Support for assistive technology for individuals who have physical or cognitive difficulties, impairments, and disabilities.
- Support for Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
- Automatic cleaning according to your settings during regularly scheduled scans.
- Windows Defender (Beta 2) may prompt you to remove some peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing programs. If you choose to remove such a program, Windows Defender (Beta 2) deletes the entire contents of the Program Files directory that relates to the P2P program. Because some P2P programs store downloaded files in a default directory under Program Files, this might remove all files downloaded through the file-sharing program. For example, KaZaA stores .exe and .dll files at C:\Program Files\Kazaa. Downloaded files are stored at C:\Program Files\Kazaa\My Shared Folder. If you use Windows Defender (Beta 2) to remove KaZaA, all files and folders under C:\Program Files\Kazaa are removed. If you have installed any P2P file-sharing programs, we recommend that you make a backup copy of your downloaded files before running Windows Defender (Beta 2).
- You do not need to remove other antispyware or antivirus programs to run Windows Defender (Beta 2). Other programs or Windows Defender (Beta 2) may prompt you to allow or block an action, but there are no other known incompatibilities with other antispyware or antivirus programs.
- Windows Defender (Beta 2) will uninstall Windows AntiSpyware.