Het programma gxine is de GTK front end voor xine, een opensource multimediaspeler voor GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Irix en Mac OS X. Het programma kan cd's, dvd's en vcd's afspelen, lust avi-, mov-, wmv-, en mp3-bestanden en ook multimediastreams van het internet vormen geen enkel probleem. Versie 0.5.0 is door de ontwikkelaars naar buiten gebracht en voorzien van de volgende veranderingen:
Well, here it is. This is where the shiny new stuff has been lurking for the past six months :-) The new stuff includes a separate toolbar window (optional) and a keypad window - and they're redefinable in XML. Changed stuff includes the settings window (it's gained tabs and a graphic equaliser), quite a lot of the UI layout and, well, see for yourself... You'll need GTK+ 2.6 or later, and a window manager which understands full-screen windows (if it doesn't, full-screen mode won't work).
- Reorganised and/or reimplemented large chunks of the UI.
(Some of this is done to avoid deprecated bits of GTK+ and GLib.)
- There are now top-level menus for audio and video.
- The toolbar is now defined using XML-based structures.
- There's a "remote control"-style window.
- Drag-resizing the main window now alters the scaling factor.
- The window can be shrunk more easily.
- Changes in video size no longer force the scale to the default value or a value set via the window menu or set_video_size().
- Allow the windowed-mode controls to be in a separate window. There's a new prefs option to control whether this happens (requires gxine to be restarted to take effect). The window can be hidden and can be stuck to the video window.
- Added startup script support. Error reporting is via the JS console. Certain commands (dialogue boxes, stream, playlist, media marks) have no effect, other than to generate warnings, during startup.
- Made the deinterlacer configuration generic. This allows use of post-plugins such as 'pp'.
NOTE: unless deinterlacing is done by an active plugin, the old deinterlacing method is used automatically.
- Separated the settings window into video and audio parts.
- Added a graphic equaliser (in the settings window).
- Added clipboard support to the playlist and media marks windows.
- Removed the "up" & "down" buttons in the playlist window.
- Added a "file" button to the 'open MRL' dialogue box. This makes it easier to open some local MRLs, e.g. a DVD image on a hard disk.
- Added a "copy to mediamarks" button to the playlist window.
- Editing the currently-played item's playlist entry makes an off-list copy of the original entry. Adding to mediamarks copies the original.
- Reimplemented full-screen mode (it now reuses the main window).
- Force windowed mode for audio-only with no visualisation.
- Improved the LIRC support:
- also read ~/.lircrc (mappings in ~/.gxine/lircrc have priority);
- if the connection to lircd is lost, try to reconnect.
- Moving the stream position slider no longer selects normal play.
- Require GTK+ 2.6 and external Spidermonkey JS library.
- Added autoconf tests for C99 and certain GCC extensions.
- Add support for unblanking via DPMS, and prefer to use it.
- Unblank when starting or resuming playback.
- Separated utility functions and UI slider code.
- Made the playlist and speaker buttons themeable. Prefix "gxine-media-", names "playlist", "speaker", "speaker-mute".
- Added JS settings objects for:
- each control in the settings window;
- various xine parameters and gxine runtime configuration items. Some of these were previously accessed via JS functions: these functions are now deprecated. You should upgrade your key bindings.
- Added JS callback function.
- Reworked the time widget and info bar. These can now be configured via $SYSCONFDIR/gxine/gtkrc (typically /etc/gxine/gtkrc), ~/.gtkrc-2.0 or ~/.gxine/gtkrc.
- Improved default widget handling (action on Return/Enter).
- Improved info bar metadata update.
- Show more metadata (if available) in the stream info window. If there's too much, use an ellipsis.
- Playlist next and previous now wrap.
- Switched to GtkFileChooser for the file dialogue boxes. (Based on a patch from Arjan Timmerman
- Make use of GNOME VFS (if available) as a backend for GtkFileChooser. Allow non-local URLs where we can currently cope with them.
- Keep dialogue boxes above their parent windows.
- Moved "title from stream" out * Show DVD title/chapter/angle count (if available) in stream info.
- Switched to tool buttons in playlist, media marks, key bindings.
- Improved ASX parsing. Don't complain about unrecognised elements. gxine doesn't support some and I'm not planning to check for them. Use
(which is standard) instead of
- Listen for extended MRL ref events (if available at compile time).
- The browser plugin no longer causes the playlist to be cleared. There's an extra option -a --add to support this.
- The splash window is now a popup (no effect on new window placement).
- Don't use deprecated GNOME VFS MIME functions.
- Prevent F10 and Menu from being used in (new) key bindings. (These are hard-wired within GTK for menu display purposes.)
- Should now cope with movement between (logical) screens.
- Adjusted the default size to force recalc of the initial video size.
- Unshade the video window on entry to full-screen mode.
- Link the full-screen toolbar position to the window position.
- Reworked the video widget; gxine now uses one thread less.
- Shift focus-grabbing from the video widget to the main window. (Keyboard grab would be used but for problems with some utilities.) of the playlist/mediamark item editor dbox's buttons area.
- Handle externally-generated screen resolution changes (XRandR).
- Handle window-manager-generated main window fullscreen toggling.
- Reworked the "setup wizards" dialogue box.
- Overhauled error message handling (and write them to stderr).