Het programma gxine is de GTK front end voor xine, een opensource multimediaspeler voor GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Irix en Mac OS X. Het programma kan cd's, dvd's en vcd's afspelen, lust avi-, mov-, wmv-, en mp3-bestanden en ook multimediastreams van het internet vormen geen enkel probleem. Versie 0.5.5 is door de ontwikkelaars naar buiten gebracht en voorzien van de volgende veranderingen:
- Improve handling of negative times.
- Fix a compile error which occurs when the DPMS extn isn't available. (Bug 1414087)
- Fix a stupid quoting error in the build-time JS include/lib detection (which broke manual libsmjs detection). (Bug 1422935)
- Rearranged the JS detection to avoid picking up libmozjs instead of libjs/libsmjs. (Partial fix for bug 1414260)
- Detect libmozjs via xulrunner-sh.pc. INSTALL is updated accordingly.
- Added automatic subtitle file handling for 'file:' MRLs, and a corresponding configuration option. (Bug 1368823)
- Added 75% and 150% to window size menus.
- Added DVD title & chapter info to the time widget.
- Added an indicator to show when the JS console has new content.
- Shade the "play" button if the playlist is empty.
- Improved 'live stream' detection (there were some false positives).
- Reset the seeker bar when the stream is stopped or ended.
- Stop the current stream before exiting.
- Tidied up some console-based JS error reporting.
- No longer remove MRLs from the playlist when they cause more MRLs to be added. Instead, mark the added MRLs with a "play" icon.
- Removed a few small XML-related memory leaks.
- Reworked internal JS engine lock usage and some signal handlers which execute JS functions. (We now use recursive mutexes.)
- Fixed a race between concurrent video widget resize sequences which was sometimes causing the window to have the wrong size. Or at least made this much more unlikely...
- Fixed a race which occasionally caused gxine to hang during startup.
- Restored saving of the values (other than the volume level) in the settings window. This also unbreaks xine_cfg_set(), which was only working for string values.
- Added a ./configure option to disable built-in playlist parsing.
- Stopped the "open" button in the playlist window from allowing huge files to be loaded. (Partially fixes Ubuntu bug 33493)
- Added another "open" button to the playlist window's button bar, replacing the "new" button (which now opens the playlist item editing window directly). (Rest of Ubuntu bug 33493)
- Added a "File..." button to the playlist/mediamark item editing window, like the one in the "open MRL" window.
- Tweaked the behaviour of the aforementioned "File..." buttons to preserve "#..." if the content of the corresponding input field is not obviously a plain file name.
- Make the setup wizards window modal unless invoked by the user.
- Minor display tweaks: quotation marks, 'XxY' => 'X×Y' etc.
- Fixed gxine.desktop so that it passes validation. (Ubuntu bug 33579)