Mozilla Thunderdbird is een open source en crossplatform mail- en newsgroupclient met features zoals een junkmailfilter, spellingcontrole en de mogelijkheid om de functionaliteit verder uit te breiden via extensions. De ontwikkelaars van de Mozilla Foundation hebben de eerste alphaversie uitgebracht van versie 1.1, die gegarandeerd nog fouten bevat. De meegeleverde release notes zien er als volgt uit:
The first alpha for our upcoming 1.1 release is now available for download. This release is intended for testers ONLY, to get some early exposure on some of the new features under development for Thunderbird 1.1. It will contain bugs! If you are an end user using Thunderbird 1.0, please stay with 1.0. Thanks!
What's New For Testing in Alpha 1
We welcome your feedback on all of these new features. Keep in mind they are still under development and will contain bugs. This is just an early peak.
- Phishing Detector --> Examines the contents of an e-mail message and warns you with a status bar along the top of the message if Thunderbird thinks this message is a phishing attack.
- Spell As You Type for Mail Compose. (Enabled by Default)
- Support for deleting and stripping attachments from e-mail.
- Improved RSS Support --> Including podcasting, a new feed subscription UI, OPML import (export will be added in Alpha 2)
- Re-designed Options Dialog
- Improved UI under Account Settings for managing multiple SMTP accounts. If you have an account with multiple identities, you can even configure an SMTP server for each identity.
- An Improved Spell Check Engine
- Auto Save As Draft for mail composition.
- Advanced hackers now have direct access to about:config for pref hacking (Tools / Options / Advanced / Config Editor)
- Mailing lists in the address book now use LDAP during autocomplete if you are using LDAP.
- Offline Improvements
- Ability to have global inbox filters
- Ability to copy local folders to imap servers
- TLS Support for POP3
- Support for Network timeouts for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
- Search and Filter Improvements (including the ability to create views or search/filter on flagged messages).
- Many bug fixes and other improvements.
Since this is an alpha release, there will be many more issues and bugs than you would find in a finished release like 1.0 was or eventually, 1.1 final. Here are some of the more noticeable ones:
[break]De volgende drie smaken zijn binnen te halen:
- In the new Options dialog, several menulist options cannot be changed including: The ability to change the addressbook we add outgoing messages to and the address book used to allow remote images.
- Windows users cannot paste images from the clipboard into the compose window like you can in 1.0. This feature will get added to 1.1 before 1.1 final.
Mac OS X