Het programma ecto is volledig uitgerust om desktop blogging uit te voeren. Ondersteuning voor verschillende blogservices is aanwezig, zoals Blogger, Blojsom, Drupal, MovableType, Nucleus, TypePad en WordPress. Je kan hiermee dus offline je blog schrijven om deze dan in één keer te uploaden wanneer je online bent. Het programma heeft een aantal handige functies aanboord en heeft een overzichtelijke interface. Voor het Mac OS X-platform is sinds kort versie 2.3 beschikbaar met de volgende aankondiging:
You will notice that ecto has new toolbar icons! These icons were created by Neil Dixon. Neil is a highly experienced designer with a very rich portfolio. Designing MacOSX icons was a first for Neil and I am very impressed. It's a classic style with a clear depiction of the icon's underlying function. See, for example, the trackback icon. As a plus, the orange tint is a nice nod to my origin (I'm Dutch...).
The other new main feature is the explicit support for Technorati Tags. Previously, you could add tags in your draft manually or using scripts. That had the disadvantage that it was hard to keep track of what tags you have used before. It was also cumbersome to edit previously posted entries to change tags.
Not anymore! The next ecto keeps track of, not only your Technorati tags, but also the ones from del.icio.us and Flickr.
The other new features are as follows:
One more note: Because of the GUI changes, I have decided to fully drop support for the metal interface. It has become unmanageable to deal with the quirks between aqua and metal layout.
- The trial period has been extended from 14 to 21 days.
- When you refresh the list of recent entries and drafts, ecto now checks if you have locally modified entries. If it finds one, it will ask you whether or not to overwrite it.
- Status messages now appear in the footer of the entries window. The activity window itself is now optional.
- The custom HTML tag editor now sports a preview pane, so you can see what the tag looks like when it's rendered.
- A while ago, I implemented a trackback extraction script, which was called after you use the bookmarklet. I did, however, not realize that I was using a Perl module that was not part of a standard OSX installation. The script is fixed now.