Kaspersky-medewerker Schouw wijst ons op een nieuwe uitgifte van Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal. Het gaat dit keer om de Technical Release van versie 5.0.121, die vanmiddag voor het grote publiek beschikbaar werd gesteld. Volgens de submitter is deze release een mogelijke kandidaat voor de final van de 5.0-branche. Wat de ontwikkelaars van de anti-virussoftware veranderd hebben in 5.0.121 kan hieronder gelezen worden:
Program's capabilities compared with the previous version:
- A simple intuitive graphical interface with indication of the general system protection and anti-virus database status has been introduced.
- A capability to disinfect infected objects in CAB, RAR, ZIP and ARJ archives has been added.
- A capability has been added to disinfect infected objects in Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail databases.
- Virus scan and disinfection of e-mail messages transferred via SMTP and POP3 protocols has been implemented.
- Quarantine functionality has been enhanced: it is possible now to automatically quarantine objects, disinfect quarantined objects, restore objects from quarantine to their original location and send objects to Kaspersky Labs for analysis. For managing quarantined objects an enhanced graphical interface is used.
- Anti-virus database update module has been significantly upgraded: now users can choose from several types of anti-virus database; during the update process from the Kaspersky Labs servers, internet connection is monitored; if the connection is lost while the update process is in progress, then, after the connection is restored, the update process will resume with the file that was being updated when the connection was lost.
- During the installation process, the user will now be notified about the competitor's products installed on his or her computer and advised on their compatibility with Kaspersky Anti-Virus.
- Anti-virus protection settings have been simplified due to the introduction of three composite levels: "Maximum Protection", "Recommended" and "Maximum Speed".
- Fast access has been implemented for the following tasks: scanning for infected objects, anti-virus database updating and viewing reports on the results of the program's operation.
- Reports management functionality has been enhanced: now users can send reports to Kaspersky Labs, disable displaying information about clean objects, etc.
- The performance of the program has been improved compared to Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal 4.0.x due to the introduction of advanced technologies iChecker™ and iStreams™.
- The amount of RAM consumed by Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal reduced by more than half due to the introduction of a new anti-virus kernel.
- Sometimes the scan process may not be correctly reflected by the corresponding indicator.
- Sometimes problems may be encountered with computers running Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3 installed , related to detection of viruses on connected network drives, if Kaspersky Anti-Virus starts before the networks drives have been connected using DFS.
- When possibly infected objects are quarantined manually, real-time anti-virus protection opens a dialog box with a suggestion to disinfect this object (or objects).
- When scanning e-mail messages, messages not translated into English may be displayed (English version only).
- When scanning password-protected archives quarantined by the user, a prompt for the password is not displayed.
- Problems while working with Magic Mail Monitor: if the setting specify receiving e-mail messages by Magic Mail Monitor via POP3 protocol, the headers of the messages will not be downloaded from the mail server when Magic Mail Monitor is run for the first time.
- If a disk is formatted using NTFS file system, then, when an object is quarantined, only the master file will actually be moved to the quarantine folder, while NTFS-streams will not be quarantined.