Begin 2008 is de vierde update van de KDE Software Compilation uitgekomen, maar niet iedereen was daar even gelukkig mee. Timothy Pearson, de Kubuntu release manager voor KDE 3.5, is daarom met de Trinity Desktop Environment begonnen. Met deze zogenaamde fork is men verder gegaan waar KDE bij versie 3.5.10 gestopt is. Het verhelpt bekende problemen en probeert nieuwe functionaliteit en ondersteuning voor nieuwe hardware toe te voegen. Eerder deze week is versie 3.5.13 van Trinity Desktop Environment uitgekomen en de belangrijkste veranderingen kunnen hieronder worden gevonden:
Back End Improvements
- 3.5.13 development starts at SVN revision r1182534
- Ported tqtinterface, arts, kdelibs, kdebase, kdeartwork, kdesdk, kdegraphics, kdepim, kdenetwork, kwebdev, and kdevelop to CMake.
- The Trinity project is now maintaining the required Qt glue libraries for poppler, avahi, and other applications
- Trinity is now using the TQ* class namespace within all modules, libraries, and applications except kdebindings
- Many bug fixes and crash fixes
- Additional Trinity rebranding
- Added new "Monitor and Display" control center module for system wide single/multi monitor and display configuration
- Enhanced GTK Qt theme engine; tabs, checkboxes, menu backgrounds and much more now display correctly in the Trinity style
- An optional Secure Attention Key has been implemented to further secure the login and desktop lock dialogs
- A new widget theme, Asteroid, has been added
- A built-in TDE X11 compositor is now included, and certain Trinity applications, such as Amarok, now detect and use true ARGB transparency when available
- A TDE-specific DBUS notification client has been added for higher integration with common applications such as Firefox and NetworkManager?
- Prevent OpenGL? screensavers from locking up the display
- Fixed Flash plugin segfaults in Konqueror
- Enhanced QuickLaunch? Kicker applet
- Added "Deep Buttons" option to Kicker
- DPMS support added
- Gamma configuration now available as an alternative to ICC colorspace configuration
- Multi-monitor configuration backend added
- The new Monitor and Display control center module, built upon libkrandr
- As of the 3.5.13 release the Trinity project has taken over maintenance of Qt3.
- This means we are the new "upstream" location for up-to-date Qt3 source code.
- Since there have been no updates or stable releases from Nokia/Trolltech in many years and there are literally hundreds patches floating around, there was a significant need for a central location.
- By maintaining Qt3 it will allow us to continue to improve Qt3 outside the scope of Trinity. It will also provide a central location for Linux distributions to build packages from, and contributers to submit code to.
- For obvious reasons any Qt3 version released by this project is licensed under the GPL only; holders of Trolltech Qt licenses may not use these versions in their proprietary projects.