Elgg is een opensource socialenetwerkplatform dat gebruikmaakt van Apache, MySQL 5+ en PHP 5.2+. Tot de mogelijkheden behoren bloggen, bestandsuitwisseling, social bookmarking en het importeren van content van bijvoorbeeld Twitter of Facebook. Voor meer informatie verwijzen we jullie door naar deze pagina en de documentatie kan via deze pagina gevonden worden. De ontwikkelaars hebben Elgg 1.7 uitgegeven en voorzien van de volgende aankondiging:
Elgg 1.7 released!
I am pleased to announce Elgg 1.7 has been released--download it from the Elgg downloads page!
For 1.7, the core team focused development on improving the core API, correcting long-standing bugs, and enhancing security. During the development of 1.7, we have had an unprecedented amount of community involvement in trac. In fact, over 250 issues were resolved in trac for this release!
Much of the development time was spent improving the core API to make Elgg a stable platform for development. As I have mentioned, this means that there are very few new features in Elgg 1.7--most of the improvements are behind the scenes and will be visible only to developers.
Some of the larger changes in 1.7 include:
I'd like to personally thank the following people for their contributions to 1.7:
- Proper UTF8 support in the database -- This allows developers to use MySQL's native string functions in queries
- A new data directories layout to work with standard filesystems
- Full-text search
- A new core API for retrieving entities
- A functional REST API
- Unit tests
This list is by no means all-inclusive, so for anyone I mistakenly left out, thank you too!
- Cash Costello for endless testing, developing, bug reporting, and feedback
- Justin Richer, Nathan Rackliffe, and Tom Read from MITRE for the basics of the new search
- Mike Lietz, Patrick McSweeny, and Kevin McCollough from eTech Ohio for bug reports and patches
- thomas, sammykanan, gv, coldtrick, jaakko.naakka, markharding, milan, and twall for testing against SVN, submitting trac tickets, and submitting patches
With more people joining the effort to test, to patch, and to develop, Elgg is really gaining momentum. This is absolutely great news and I'm very excited about what the future holds! The increase in developers has, however, demonstrated that we need to change how our SVN repositories are organized. To simplify the development process, the separate core and extensions SVN repositories and tracs will be merged into a single repository and trac system. The SVN repositories will be updated to a standard branches, tags, and trunk layout to allow concurrent development and support for multiple versions of Elgg.
To implement these changes, Elgg's SVN and trac will be unavailable until March 3rd, 2010 at 9:00am EST. Watch this blog space for information on how to switch to the new SVN layout.
The road to 1.7 has been an exciting one for me, and I hope that 1.8 is just as interesting!