Sony heeft gelijktijdig met het uitkomen van het nieuwe model van de PlayStation 3 ook een nieuwe versie van de systeemsoftware beschikbaar gesteld. In de nieuwe firmware, die versienummer 3.00 meegekregen heeft, is de XrossMediaBar op de schop gegaan. Zo is onder andere de Information Board vervangen door What's New. Hier zijn onder andere snapshots te vinden van de laatste drie gespeelde spellen, zodat je meteen verder kunt gaan waar je gebleven was. Verder is het makkelijker gemaakt om de PlayStation Store te raadplegen. Hieronder is het volledige changelog voor firmware versie 3.00 te vinden:
Main features in system software update version 3.00New design for the XMB™(XrossMediaBar) screen
- The XMB screen has been redesigned.
- [Information Board] has been replaced by [What's New] and contains a new design and new features.
Other new or revised features in version 3.00Overall
- You can now access the latest content available from PlayStation Store directly under Game and Video.
- When using storage media that contains folders, the number of folder levels that can be displayed under Photo, Music and Video has been increased.
- You can now copy text using the on-screen keyboard. You can use this feature to copy text on a screen from which the on-screen keyboard is displayed, such as the screen for creating a message under Friends.
- [Audio Multi-Output] has been added as an option under [Sound Settings].
- [HDD Content Audio Language] and [HDD Content Subtitle Language] have been added as options under [Video Settings].
- You can now use the right stick of the wireless controller to perform fast forward or fast reverse operations during video content playback.
- [Print This Screen] has been added as an option in the browse mode menu of the Internet browser.
- [Save Screenshot] has been added as an option in the browse mode menu of the Internet browser.
- A list of messages that you have exchanged with a Friend can be now accessed from the Friend’s profile screen.
- This system software update includes all features contained in previous versions.
- The new system software will preserve any settings previously made to the PlayStation 3.
- Depending on the software title, you may not be able to play without first updating the PS3 system software.
- Do not perform updates using any data other than the official update data provided by Sony Computer Entertainment over a network or on disc media, and do not perform updates by methods other than those described in the product documentation or in this site. If an update is performed using data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3 system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS3 system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions may void the PS3 system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.