Elke software-ontwikkelaar weet hoe belangrijk een handleiding bij een programma kan zijn als men niet overspoeld wilt worden met telkens dezelfde vragen van gebruikers. Om op een eenvoudige manier deze handleiding samen te stellen, kan je het programma Help & Manual gebruiken. Hiermee ben je in staat om je handleiding in elkaar te zetten en deze vervolgens in verschillende formaten uit te brengen, waaronder Adobe PDF, browser based help, html help, classic winhelp, e-books en Microsoft Word. Daarnaast is het ook mogelijk om een hardcopy op te maken. Ontwikkelaar EC Software heeft versie 5.0.2 build 540 uitgebracht en voorzien van de volgende aankondiging:
Help & Manual 5.0.2 Maintenance Update
We just released an updated build of Help & Manual 5 which is available from our download page. This updated addresses all currently known issues. We recommend to update to version 5.0.2 to all 5.x users!
The most important changes concern the overal speed of Help & Manual 5, especially when working with large projects and even more so if you use the compressed XML format (.hmxz). While you won't notice much with small projects on a fast computer, the improvements are dramatic when working with large compressed project files (> 5000 topics). Speed improvements affect opening a project, editing, inserting links, publishing and saving a project.
Bug fixes and minor improvements
Several minor problems have been fixed with this update. I am listing them here for overview:
- Bug fixes in treeview (this should fix some spurious access violations)
- Wrong encoding for special characters in HTML code objects (Webhelp only)
- Help context tool: values > 2147483647 were not imported from external files
- Encoding for Russian a-keywords in HTML Help changed
- Keyword Index Tool: error message when assigning keywords to anchors
- Export dialog: Status was not remembered
- PDF export: cross references to topics in child projects were not exported as links
- Export: memory leak with embedded topics fixed
- Merged projects did not export help context numbers
- Bug fix for horizontal lines which could not be deleted
- When copying styles from another project, styles were not saved correctly
- HTML based outputs: topic init script has been moved to the end of the <head> section to avoid wrong encoding with some browsers
- Topic title in CHM files: variables were not replaced
- HMX converter now always converts with compile-time merging option
- Keep lines and Keep next were not highlighted when active
- Template editors: find & replace activated
- Template editors: new context menu item to insert HTML color
- Impict: restore glitch with screen capture fixed
Help & Manual 5 released!
The wait is over! Help & Manual 5 was released in the early hours of June 9 CET, as promised. In addition to now being the best help authoring tool available, Help & Manual 5 is the first XML editor on the market that can be used in the same way as a word processor. You don't need to know anything about XML to gain all the benefits, but you also have full access to the XML code if you need it.
See here for more information.[break]
- Saves in pure XML, either in a folder with sub-folders or in a compressed single-file archive format for convenience.
- Concurrent multi-user editing with everything built in -- no database or other components required. Work on your projects in teams in both local and wide-area networks. Save on any server type, including Linux, XServe and Unix providing they support SMB.
- Save directly in version control repositories
- Use Snippets to create libraries of reusable content which you can insert in Paste or Link mode. Paste is editable, Link updates automatically when the source files are changed.
- Insert topics from the current project and other projects in the same way as snippets.
- Skins: Apply professional layouts to your project on the fly when you compile with skins, without touching the project itself.
- MS Office 2007 Ribbon interface: Use the familiar and fast interface of Office 2007 for help authoring as well as all your other office tasks
- Localization and translation: Use XML-aware localization and translation tools to process your project source code directly. No conversion necessary.
- New Project Explorer that gives you direct access to all the files and settings in your project.
- Literally hundreds of other major and minor improvements and new features...