Het programma RSSOwl kan de laatste nieuwtjes van verschillende RSS-, RDF- en Atom feeds ophalen via het internet. Het opzoeken van nieuwsstukken gebeurt via de zoekfunctie en dankzij de tabbed interface houd je overzicht over al het aangeboden nieuws. Omdat het programma is geschreven in Java draait het onder andere op Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris en Windows. De ontwikkelaars hebben de eerste release candidate van versie 1.2.3 de deur uitgedaan met de volgende aanpassingen:
- Several improvements to how Links to Feeds are handled from outside the application
- Windows: #1551921 Support Firefox 2.0 way of subscribing to Feeds The new Firefox 2.0 offers a very cool way of subscribing to feeds. Everytime you either open a Feed in Firefox or its auto-discovery is detecting a Feed on a Website you are just visiting, you are able to directly subscribe to it with your default newsreader. Just select "RSSOwl" from the provided list of Newsreaders (or add it, if its not yet present) and from now on everytime you see an interesting Feed, its only 1 click to add it to RSSOwl. Note: In case you are already subscribed to the selected Feed, RSSOwl will automatically show the content of the Feed, rather then opening the subscription-dialog again.
- Windows: The "-url" argument of the rssowl.exe is no longer supported. Instead, simply add the url at any position from the command-line. RSSOwl will then either open the "New Favorite" dialog if the feed is not yet subscribed, or show the contents otherwise.
- Better handling of the Feed-Protocol. Instead of opening the "New Favorite" Dialog, RSSOwl will now show the contents of the Feed in case it was already subscribed when opening a Link that makes use of the Feed-Protocol.
- Windows: The embedded browser is fully supporting the new Internet Explorer 7
- Now showing Hand-Cursor in case mouse is hovering over the read-state-icon in the NewsTable indicating that the icon is actually clickable to toggle read-state
- Updated SWT to 3.2.1
- Linux: Various Browser-related bugfixes (support for https, render visited links)
- Removed the dependancy to org.eclipse.ui.forms. On Linux, the big dependancy to the Eclipse Platform is therefor no longer required.
- Note: AmphetaRate was disabled because the service is no longer online. My apologies to all existing users.
- Improved menu-structure of the Newsfeed-Menu, including Popup-Menu on News-Table
- Fixed all wrong usages of cascading-style for non-cascading menus
- Sort-Indicator in NewsTable showed into wrong direction for ascending / descending
- Fixed leaking Clipboard instances
- Fixed Feed-Search no longer returning all results
- #1583770 Read/Unread-Status not saved on system shutdown. State of News that are marked read is now persisted at a certain interval while the application is running (same as preferences). This should finally fix the issue where this information got lost on an unclean shutdown.
- #1545673 UTF-8 feed's Channel-Title field. In case the encoding-attribute was surrounded by single quotes, it was not respected when asking the feed for its title from the Favorites-Dialog.
- #1580613 New favourite always uses proxy to resolve title
- #1555970 Make the default keymap depend on the host OS
- #1557635 Livejournal Blogrolls / OPML-Import did not work