Pixie is een opensourceapplicatie waarmee fotorealistische renders gemaakt kunnen worden. Het ontwikkelteam hoopt dat Pixie op den duur gebruikt kan worden in grafische onderzoeken en door mensen die zich geen commerciŽle renderpakketten kunnen veroorloven. Ondersteuning voor onder andere programmable shading, motion blur, depth of field, raytracing, scan-line rendering, area-light sources en occlusion culling is aanwezig. Wie benieuwd is naar een aantal resultaten na het renderen kan op deze pagina een kijkje nemen. Versie 1.7.5 is sinds kort beschikbaar met de volgende veranderingen:
This version of Pixie has a lot of speed improvements and leaner/meaner code. In particular, Depth Of Field and Motion Blur are improved. Parts of the image with no objects will be processed faster.
- Updated 'show' interface - supports previewing brickmaps, pointclouds, as well as irradiance caches and photonmaps
- Improved 'mid' dist shadow maps - mid dist shadow maps are improved, allowing shadow maps to use much smaller biases
- Greatly reduced memory consumption when using many shaders Scenes with lots of shaders should experience a reduced memory consumption, and may also render faster
- bake3d() can bake to an arbitrary coordinate system, and texture3d() can lookup in that coordinate system. Thus moving geometry can be baked
- Baking to textures is supported via the bake3d() shadeop. See the documentation for more details on that technique.
- texture environment lookups previously were in a rotated coordinate system which didn't match the specification. This is fixed.
- Compilation - Pixie now compiles happily with -fstrict-aliasing on under gcc
- Issues with OpenEXR crashing under OSX are resolved
- Point cloud lookups can distinguish reverse-facing points previously the lookup may have interpolated from points which face away from the lookup direction
- The radiusscale option to bake3d() and texture3d() works correctly
- baking on objects with negative scale (or who'se transformation had a determinant which was < 0) now works
- Network / netrender renders and parallell multiproc renders work when the number of procs / servers is not an even number
- Photon mapping - issues with photonmaps crashing have been resolved
- RI interface - the definition of RtPointer has been changed to void * to match the standard
- Fixed indirectdiffuse when combined with an environment map - previously the environment map irradiance was counted twice
- Output of RiCurves in the rib works now when all curves do not have the same number of points, or when the basis-step is not 3
- Updated docs - tutorials on how to bake to texture
Added support for "bake3d" and "texture3d":
These functions allow shaders to compute data and save it into a 3D data structure to be queried later. This mechanism is very powerful because it allows expensive shaders to run sparsely. The beauty passes can then interpolate the cached expensive shader results. According to PrMan tech specs, these functions may replace the "irradiancecache" and "indirectdiffuse" in the future. This version also fixes some minor bugs.