Ik lees op /. dat FreeBSD 3.5-Release is uitgebracht voor het x86 platform. Naast kernel en 'userland' updates heeft de 3.5-Release een aantal security fixes. De volledige release notes kun je hier nalezen. Downloaden kan vanaf ftp.freebsd.org of een andere mirror in de buurt:
Welcome to 3.5-RELEASE, a full follow-on to 3.4-RELEASE which was shipped in December 1999. In the months since 3.4 was released, many bug fixes and general enhancements have been made to the system. Please see relevant details below.
Any installation failures or crashes should be reported by using the send-pr command (those preferring a WEB based interface can also see http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html).
For information about FreeBSD and the layout of the 3.5-RELEASE directory (especially if you're installing from floppies!), see ABOUT.TXT. For installation instructions, see the INSTALL.TXT and HARDWARE.TXT files.
1.1. KERNEL CHANGES
- The loader was substantially updated from -current
- Various bugs in the CAM driver fixed.
- oltr [Olicom NIC] driver updated.
- bktr(4) [Brooktree frame-grabber] driver updated.
- isp(4) [Compaq Qlogic] driver updated.
- sym(4) [NCR/Symbios SCSI controller] driver updated.
- A number of bugs in syscons(4) fixed.
- A number of bugs in vinum(4) fixed.
- Better support for LBA in wd(4) driver.
- Audio mixer(8) support substantially updated.
- Support for Microsoft Sound Source (MSS) audio devices.
- Support for more Linux system calls in the Linux compatability code.
- netgraph(4) updated: new node types and documentation added.
- Various bugs in msdosfs code fixed.
1.2. SECURITY CHANGES
Many small but meaningful changes, too many to list. See CVS repository for more details. Suffice it to say from a user perspective that "various things were tightened up."
1.3. USERLAND CHANGES
- vinum(8) substantially updated.
- chmod(1) has gained a -v flag. See man page for details.
- df(1) gains new unit types. See man page for details.
- Various bugs in date(1), ed(1), ln(1), sh(1), camcontrol(8), vinum(8) and quite a number of other user commands fixed (see CVS for details .
- groff(1), grep(1) texinfo(1) utilities updated.
- Quite a few enhancements to /etc from -current merged.
- Many doc bugs fixed in man pages.
- Thread locking functions added to dynamic linker (see dllockinit(3)).
- pthread_cancel(3) function added.
- ppp(8) has undergone some changes and bug fixes. One change in particular may disturb existing configurations. The # character is now treated as a comment start, irrespective of whether it's the first non-blank character on the line. Some ISPs allocate authnames with embedded # characters. These must now be escaped or quoted.
- picobsd support (/usr/src/release/picobsd) substantially updated.
- HTTP installation option added to system installer (sysinstall(8)).
- XFree86 updated from 3.3.5 to 3.3.6 (XFree86 4.0 not quite ready for prime-time yet).