AKGBackup is een Java geschreven backupprogramma voor diverse platformen. Het programma kan een compressiealgoritme toepassen op de bestanden waardoor de bestandsgrootte van de reservekopie een stuk kleiner kan uitvallen. Welk versienummer AKGBackup heeft meegekregen is helaas niet bekend. Door te klikken op deze link kan het programma als zip-archief gedownload worden. Hieronder is te lezen wat de features van AGKBackup zijn:
[break]AKGBackup wordt beschikbaar gesteld onder de volgende licentie:[/break]This software is an optionware. Optionware, a term coined by me :-), means that the cost of registration, if you decide to support this program and my site, is totally up to you. You can choose any amount and pay through PayPal. Only if you are unable to pay for some reason, but would like to continue using this software, write to me for the serial number. I do not want to force you to pay against your wish. You can treat this program as a freeware in that case. If you decide to do neither, this program will stop functioning in sixty days. Circumventing this feature will be like cheating a fellow programmer. So please do not do it.
- This backup utility can compress data while backing up if you choose so. It compresses individual files separately. This feature is a precautionary measure. Compressed archives do get corrupted and if there is a single archive for all your files (most of the backup programs create a single archive for your files and folders), you may lose all your files in one go if something goes wrong. Remember Murphy's Law? Still not convinced? Read here what one of the users of AKGBackup said about this feature.
- The compression feature of this program can be used as a simple but effective encryption tool for backed up files.
- You can choose to mirror any deletions in your data source. If you delete any files in the original location, those files will also be deleted in the backup. In other words, you will have a mirror image like backup all the time. You can also choose not to have such a backup in which case even if a file is deleted in the source folder, it will remain in the destination folder (where you have chosen to backup your files) waiting to be restored if and when you require it.
- It is also possible to specify the total number of backups of the same data. This feature is particularly useful when some rewritable medium, such as a hard disk or a tape, is used as backup medium. For example, if you choose to have seven number of backups, then you will have seven most recent sets of data.
- Once you create a backup using this utility, subsequent backups are very fast. This program looks for any new or modified files and backs them up saving a lot of time ensuring that you have a most current backup all the time.