Doppler is een podcasting programma dat ontwikkeld wordt op Nederlands/Vlaamse bodem. Podcasting is het fenomeen waarmee je via RSS-feeds mp3-bestanden kunt downloaden (zogenaamde enclosures), die je vervolgens kunt synchroniseren met je mp3speler. Het gedeelte 'pod' in podcasting doet vermoeden dat je een Apple iPod nodig hebt maar iedere mp3speler waarmee je een map kunt synchroniseren is geschikt. Sinds kort is Doppler 2.0 Gold beschikbaar met de volgende release notes:
You've been waiting for it. You've been running version 1.1.1, you've been installing the 2.0 RC1, now it's time to check out 2.0 Gold.
What has changed compared to 1.1.1?
Doppler 2.0 is a different story. It's all you where used to in 1.1.1 but we added:
And this was already in there from starters:
- Multi-threaded, simultaneous downloads.
- Resuming downloads.
- Automatic retry if a download fails (for instance if the server goes down for a few seconds or something like that). Doppler will retry the download 10 times, waiting a bit longer between every retry.
- On the fly conversion of your mp3 to m4b/aac format if you are using iTunes
- Tag rewriting including 'smarttags' like %date%, %feedname%, %time%, %artist% etc. etc. etc.
- The ability to have Doppler check feeds at a specific time during the day.
- You can now apply your default feed settings to already existing feeds (it's in the "Tools" menu)
- A new space saver: clean up by rating! It allows you set a specific rating. If you set it to 1 star, the moment you set your podcast to a 1 star rating, Doppler will remove it from the playlist in the next retrieval run.
- Catch-up all feeds. You can tell Doppler to not add the last x podcasts to the history, so that you can still enjoy the latest podcast. But not have to download all those podcasts made during your vacation.
- You can Doppler now tell explicity how to handle feeds which contain the same mp3 file over and over. Skip them or add the date/time to the filename.
- A log file. Doppler 1.1.1 reported to the system event log. Doppler 2.0 maintains it's own log, which means now that Windows ME and 98 users now also can run Doppler!
- You can pick a category to sync from BlogLines
- Double click on a feed and it will open a lightweight RSS reader!
- You can automatically increment a track number counter on every download, making it easier to order your downloaded podcasts in a playlist.
And as from now we will release more often, so you don't have to wait this long for a new release.
- The ability to retrieve userid/password from secured feeds (using HTTP Basic Authentication)
- Easy management of your download history
- Preview a podcast. Doppler will download a 1Mb part of the podcast and will start playing it in your preferred media player