So what's new in DivX 4.0? Well, it's completely re-written to improve performance and visual quality. The code base is different from all earlier versions, including the open-source OpenDivX codec. Some new features:
- Improved decoder performance
- Higher encoding performance, almost 4 times faster than previous version
- Multipass encoding and 2 different variable bit rate modes
- Improved visual quality
- Highly scalable codec from 16x16 pixels to 1920x1280 pixels (i.e. HDTV). All even integer dimensions are acceptable.
- Support for popular encoding/editing applications
- Plays all DivXTM content