Op de website van QuickPar lezen we dat er een nieuwe versie beschikbaar is van het vernuftige programma QuickPar. Met dit stukje software is het mogelijk om met behulp van zogeheten 'Parity Volumes' te controleren of er gegevens corrupt zijn geraakt. Tevens wordt de mogelijkheid geboden om eventuele corrupte gegevens te herstellen. In versie 0.8 zien we de volgende veranderingen:
- If an error occured during the creation of PAR2 files or whilst using them to repair data files, the error would not be correctly reported. This is especially noticeable if a repair fails as QuickPar would simply say that it was ready to repair again. Some of the International versions of QuickPar did not include the Windows Common Control manifest. This meant that they failed to use Windows XP Themes.
- When verifying data files (especially if monitoring a download), if the newsreader software modified a file just as QuickPar was about to scan it, the scan would fail and QuickPar sometimes failed to make further attempts to scan that file. Under those circumstances it was necessary to use F5 to force a rescan.
- Creating PAR2 files from data files on a network patch should now work correctly.
- When creating PAR2 files and when using them to repair damaged data files, QuickPar will attempt to detect data corruptions caused by faulty memory. It does this by carrying out write/read tests on the memory buffers it uses, and confirming that checksums for recovery data match values that are precomputed.
- After verifying data files, if the only problem detected is that some files have the wrong filename, then QuickPar will tell you how many files are incorrectly named, and relable the "Repair" button to "Rename".
- After verifying data files, if all data blocks have been found but some of the data files do not verify correctly (possibly because the file set has been split), then QuickPar will tell you how many files are affected and relable the "Repair" button to "Rejoin".
- In the verification dialogue, the "Clear" button has been removed and replaced by the "Open" button. The original (dual use) "Open/Add" button is now used only as the "Add" button. QuickPar can now open and use .MD5 and .SFV files to verify data files. When using these files, QuickPar will not list the file size of any data file. It will also not automatically search for missnamed versions of any files. You must use the "Add" button to have QuickPar check missnamed files.
- In the PAR2 creation dialogue, QuickPar now calculates and displays the total size of the resulting PAR2 files instead of the size of the recovery data within the PAR2 files.
- The efficiency rating displayed when creating PAR2 files has been updated so that it shows the effect of both file size to block size rounding and the overhead caused by packet headers and verification data in the PAR2 files. This means that the displayed efficiency rating will drop if you use either very large or very small block sizes.
- When verifying data files in a folder with many unrelated files, QuickPar should avoid scanning files unecessarily. The About dialogue now includes clickable hyperlinks. Italian and Danish have been added to the list of localised versions. Thanks to Armando La Mura and Jens Hyllegaard for their assistance in translating the text.