Data Crow Heeft met versienummer 3.9 een nieuwe milestone bereikt. Dit catalogusprogramma kan orde in de chaos scheppen van zo'n beetje elke verzameling, of het nu om boeken, cd's, dvd's, foto's of muziekbestanden gaat. Waar mogelijk wordt allerlei relevante en aanvullende informatie van internet opgehaald, zoals IMDb, Amazon of Bol.com. Het programma is opensource en in Java geschreven, en het is dan ook eenvoudig om aanpassingen in het uiterlijk of de functionaliteit te maken. In versie 3.9 is onder andere de manier veranderd hoe de data wordt opgehaald. Hierdoor start het programma een stuk sneller op en zijn de systeemeisen naar beneden bijgesteld.
Data Crow 3.9.0
This release delivers a significant, mostly technical, change. The data layer, which is the way for Data Crow to load and display items, has been rewritten. Items were always loaded (all of them) on startup, causing a long startup time and high memory usage.
The new data layer increases the startup time of the product and lowers the memory requirements. On the down side you might notice a slight performance decrease when scrolling up and down in the views. This is because Data Crow now loads the items when they become visible on screen. Due to a smart caching mechanism the performance decrease has been kept as minimal as possible. On the plus side the grouping pane and the startup time have improved significantly (by about 75%). Additionally it is now possible to load a large database just as quickly as a small database, with the same memory requirements!
The following has a direct impact on the performance of the system:
New System Requirements:
- The number of selected field as the description for an item (View Settings > Description). Data Crow only queries for the necessary information, having to query for, for example, a name, category and a container will take more time when loading the item on screen.
- Available memory for Data Crow (Java -Xmx256m is recommended).
- Minimum amount of memory: 128MB
- Recommended amount of memory 256MB.
- Sun Java 1.6 or higher.
- Java will start consuming a lot of the processor time when the application is running out of memory. Assign 256MB's to the application to make sure that this does not happen.
- Improved startup time (75% faster)
- Lower memory usage (50 to 70%)
- Items are always loaded directly from the database, no caching
- Grouping pane improvements (50% faster)
- Unique identifiers are now generated according to the UUID Java standards. (For future compatibility)
- Added indexes on database tables. This done automatically, also for custom modules.
- Items are only loaded if and when they are actively shown on screen.
- Changed the layout of the quick view.
- Updated Apache FOP to version 1.0; increased performance for report creation.
- Showing a progress bar when building the tree / grouping panel
- Pictures are now shown within the quick view panel. If a picture field is added to the description of the quick view panel it will no longer be displayed in a separate tab.
- Toolbar can now be completely disabled (F12).
- Garbage collection scheduler is now disabled by default. If needed it can be turned on in the expert user dialog.
- Fields in view settings and grouping pane can now be ordered without having to remove and add the fields again.
- Added m4a to the music file importer.
- Added an option to enable high quality rendering of images (lowers performance and increases memory usage).
- Improved performance for the chart panel.
- Using JFreeChart libraries instead of OpenChart2, allowing for better graphical chart presentations and printable charts.
- An option has been added to the quick view settings to show or hide the picture tabs. This is a 'per module' setting.
- Default full expansion of the grouping pane tree nodes has been disabled.
- Removed the table view from the user module.
- Added expandAll and collapseAll to the file tree panel.
- Image not shown (or flickering) in the card view
- ConcurrentModificationException on several occasions
- Web version is not in synch with item changes done in the client(s)
- High overall processor usage.
- Quick filter; sometimes the list is not filled correctly
- Changing fonts; not properly delegated to all views / components
- File structure not displayed correctly in the File Structure tree.
- Open report button was enabled even when the report was still being processed.
- IMDB search; most information was not imported due to site changed
- IMDB search; multiple directors was not working
- MetaCritics online service no longer working (games & movies).
- FreeBookSpot could not be repaired and has been removed.
- Bol.com online service retrieved "no image" pictures.
- Barnes & Nobles search was completely broken.
- Discogs.com; images were no longer imported.
- MCU.es was beyond repair and has been removed.
- First visible field in item form is now selected / focused.
- Child items are not added to reports if running in other language then English.
- Report PDF "audiocd listing desert" doesn't display Artist
- Report HTML "software listing desert" had publishers instead of categories.
- Directory usage section of the file importer had a strange looking border.
- History on loans not directly updated, only after reopening the item form.
- Help on item form mentioned "attach file info" while it should read "read file information"
- File > Locate File options were available even when the item does not have a hash or file size set.
- Item updates done by external processes no longer cause focus loss on the client (File Synchronizer & web application).
- Removed defective 'brighten' function for pictures.
- Item Synchronizer does not update all items.
- Duplication of records for multiple references fields; duplicates are removed and a unique index is set on these tables to prevent this is in the future.
- Duplication of records in the picture tables; duplicates are removed here as well and a unique index is created here as well.
- Item is only removed and re-added to the tree if the value has changed of the field that is part of the tree structure (performance gain).
- Column widths for the child table (tracks for example) are not remembered.
- Reports does not a comma between listings of categories, genres, etc.
- Containers were not added correctly to the reports. The reporting dictionary did not correctly describe this multiple reference field.
- The message 'This item is not unique, it already exists.. ' (etc) did not correctly tell you why the item is / was not unique.
- Bol.com did not retrieve any results as of November 8th, 2010. Fixed. (Incorrect HTML syntax on Bol.com: href=""/nl/s)
- License information for software not save (incorrect column name).
- User information could not be changed, message appears 'login name cannot be changed' while the login name has in fact not been changed.
- MobyGames.com; ' in titles instead of '
- Discogs online search no longer retrieved the titles for tracks correctly (HTML change on Discogs site).
- Imdb person search appends "
- IMDb" to each name.