Irex heeft voor zijn DR1000S e-readers een bètaversie van firmware 2.0 uitgegeven. Hiermee wordt onder ander het uiterlijk van de gebruikersinterface onderhanden genomen en zullen de prestaties verbeterd worden. Wel is het raadzaam op aandachtig de onderstaande aankondiging en lijst met veranderingen door te lezen. Deze update heeft bijvoorbeeld geen ondersteuning meer aan boord voor bestanden in het Mobipocket-formaat. Voor verschillende gebruikerservaringen met deze e-reader en e-readers in het algemeen kan je terecht in het Het eBookreader-ervaringentopic op ons forum.
Public BETA of the DR1000S 2.0 software available
IREX Technologies is proud to release the Public BETA of the DR1000S 2.0 software. This BETA version still has some known issues but it is fully functional, feature complete and should only have minor problems. It is also Adobe-Certified with regard to PDF/EPUB rendering and DRM.
Note that the translations of the GUI texts are not complete yet, so you may still see English messages even though your language is set to something else. Also there is no User Manual for this release yet.
Detailed Features and Improvements
Limitations / Regressions
- Completely new DR800-style GUI, including new Menu
- Many performance improvements making the GUI much more responsive
- Minor improvements to Power Management have been made
- DR800-style views (Books, News, Images, Personal Documents) in Content Browser in addition to “SD Card” folder browsing
- ‘Recently Added’ view in Content Browser
- Search in Library (to locate a file) based on metadata
- Documents are shown with their Title and Author in the Content Browser (instead of filename), except in the “SD Card” folder view
- A dedicated Notepad Application which adds the possibility to insert pages and rename the Note. This replaces the old Templates.
- Adobe RMSDK 9.1 EPUB and PDF rendering engine, including B&N EPUB support and PDF reflow
- Selection zoom in PDF
- Scribble (note taking) on top of PDF documents
- Switch between 4 open documents using tabs on the side of the screen
- Support for opening password-protected PDF documents
- GUI localized in English, German, French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Greek
- Automatic indexing of title, author and thumbnail when a file is added to the device
In addition to the features and improvements above, there are unfortunately also some regressions from the v1.7.1 release. For this reason we will keep the older firmware versions available for download.
- The PC Companion Software application does not work anymore. There is currently no way to merge scribbles or safely rename a file on the PC.
- Mobipocket Support (both DRM and non-DRM) has been removed in favor of Adobe DRM and EPUB
- Dictionary Support has been removed, because this relies on the Mobipocket format.
- Shortcut functionality is still available, but shortcuts have moved to a subfolder of the Home screen. Also, v1.7 shortcuts are not automatically converted.
- The Toolbar is not configurable anymore but hard-coded. We aim to fix this in a future software release.
- Automatic ‘Hide Margins’ zoom factor is not available anymore. We aim to improve this in a future software release.
- Template support has been removed in favor of the new Notepad application. We aim to add different templates (lines, squares, …) to the Notepad application in a future software release.
We welcome all feedback to this Beta version. Please report any issues you find as clearly as possible. Please report and or discuss found bugs in this forum message.
- We have identified a problem with scribbles on PDF documents which results in v1.7 scribbles not being shown correctly on v2.0-beta. We will fix this issue before final release, but it is likely that this will make all scribbles on PDF documents made with v2.0-beta unreadable on the v2.0 final release. The Notepad application is not affected by this.