MailScanner is een opensourcefilter om spam en virussen te verdrijven uit het binnenkomende e-mailverkeer. Het gebruikt onder andere SpamAssassin in combinatie met white- en blacklists voor het filteren van spam. Voor het filteren van virussen wordt ClamAV meegeleverd maar ondersteuning voor andere virusscanners zoals BitDefender, McAfee en Sophos is aanwezig. Voor meer informatie verwijzen we jullie door naar deze MAQ. De ontwikkelaar heeft begin deze maand versie 4.63.8 de deur uitgedaan met de volgende aankondiging:
New Features and Improvements:
- Improved init.d script, so that 'service MailScanner restart' or '/etc/init.d/MailScanner restart' runs faster. It pauses for just long enough for the old MailScanner to die gracefully, and starts up the new one as soon as the old one has died. Previously, it just waited for a fixed length of time which was much longer than needed for most people.
- Improved tar installer so the directory created for MailScanner includes the build revision number as well as the main version number.
- Improved phishing net logging to log entire real URL not just hostname.
- Improvement to update_spamassassin to stop cron-generated mail.
- New setting "Phishing Bad Sites File" which is a live continuously-updated list of known bad sites that have been reported to various mechanisms around the world. Please don't ask me for more information as I can't give it to you, but every site on the list has been manually tested and the list can be relied upon. Your installation should update this file every hour.
NOTE: Run upgrade_languages_conf after installing this upgrade!
- Reduce default "Restart Every" time to 2 hours so that updates to the known bad phishing sites list are re-read more frequently.
- Added *.fdf to the list of dangerous filenames. Opening a .fdf file can cause the loading of any file on the internet into Adobe Acrobat.
- Added 2 new variables to the sender reports: $size = size of message in bytes and $maxmessagesize = maximum allowed size of this message in bytes.
- Added new setting "Check Filenames In Password-Protected Archives = yes" so that the filename checks can be suppressed on encrypted archives to allow a few people to get exe's and so on through the mail as part of their business needs. Normally leave this setting at "yes".
- Added new setting "Include Binary Attachments In SpamAssassin = no" which can be used to tell SpamAssassin to look at all attachments, not just the ones containing text (or HTML, etc) which is its normal behaviour. Changing this setting to "yes" will have no effect without a patch to the SpamAssassin code, which you can fetch from http://www.mailscanner.info/mcp.html#patches It will slightly slow down SpamAssassin some of the time, and is therefore disabled by default. This can be very useful if you want to look for rude or derogatory content in messages, and do not want the huge speed impact of using MCP. It can successfully scan the content of Microsoft Word documents, for example. It won't be effective on PDF files however, as these are compressed internally so there is no readable text anywhere in the file.
- Added a long $PATH to f-prot-autoupdate so we can find wget on most OS-es including Solaris.
- Improved Sophos.install to disable the savupdate cron job and switch off the unwanted Sophos services.
- Added a feature to the "SpamAssassin Rule Actions". You can now specify "SpamScore" and a number comparison, instead of just giving a SpamAssassin rule name. So you can say SpamAssassin Rule Actions = SpamScore>25=>delete and this will cause all messages scoring over 25 to be deleted. You can use this to set different actions at different spam scores, in addition to the normal spam actions and high-scoring spam actions. The numerical tests you can use are ">", ">=", "==", "<=" and<".
- The "action" in each "RULE=>action" in "SpamAssassin Rule Actions" can now be a comma-separated list of actions, so you can easily specify multiple actions per rule.
- Added support for F-Prot version 6. Must be specified by "Virus Scanners = f-prot-6" in MailScanner.conf.
- Improvement to phishing net to allow HTML tags with contents split over multiple lines.
- Changed options to ClamAVmodule so it doesn't hit false positives with the phishing and scam email detection signatures.
- Fixed bug where --lint gives "MailScanner.conf file not found" error.
- Stopped writing a PID file when "MailScanner --lint" is run.
- update_spamassassin no longer produces any output, so no crond email.
- Fixed bug where clamavmodule scanner name wouldn't always be logged correctly.
- Bugfix in ZMDiskStore.pm ZMailer support from Leonardo Helman.
- Force installation of perl-Getopt-Long to try to solve the problems with command-line options producing 'config file not found' errors.
- Commented out sample rules in max.message.size.rules file.
- Fixed MailScanner.conf Sophos-specific settings for Sophos 5.
- Fixed problem where MTA=sendmail would cause ruleset to not be used on Sendmail2 setting.
- Fixed bug when specifying multiple actions in "SpamAssassin Rule Actions" for one rule name.